Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Staycation or Vacation?

It's no secret that the lagging economy has affected every facet of life in America. While I haven't even gotten my economic stimulus check yet, it's no sign that I have excess money lying around. Like most others I know or read about, the summer might be toughest on all of us. The decision concerning vacation destinations is bound to be affected...some are even suggesting what they call a "staycation" in which people actually stay at home for the time off. Part of the rationale involves the fact that many people choose to take their work with them on vacation in the form of email, telecommuting, etc. Giving that idea some thought, I will attempt to compare a stay-at-home-vacation with a trip I recently took. You can be the judge about whther I made the right decision when I chose to get out of town.

1. On my vacation, I spent a lot of time on the beach.
There IS no beach in Green Bay, certainly not one at 95 degrees with clean water.

2. I consumed more than a couple of beers a day since I wasn't driving anywhere.
I could stay home, drink several beers and NOT pay $6.00 apiece for them!

3. A maid came in to clean my room every day, give me fresh towels and new soap.
At home, there is no maid, cleaning happens when I get around to it, and I reuse
towels and soap.

4. On vacation, I got to eat at restaurants and enjoyed a famous comedian at a club
while staying up 'way past my bedtime and drinking more $6 beer every night.
Taco Bell's new menu at home starts at $.79. I had ONE crabcake for $18 while
on vacation.

5. While on vacation, I got to miss several flights, try to get straight answers
from bored counter attendants and sit in an airport for 7 hours.
Had I been home, I could have attended 3-hour summer school classes and spent
7 hours mowing my lawn between deluges.

All in all, there's something good about both types of getaways: the cheaper food and drink here might be offset by the temperature, or the unrelenting sunshine (honest! the sun was out EVERY FREAKIN' DAY!), lying on a "sugar sand" beach as much as I wanted, taking the occasional dip to cool off and generally having no more difficult decision to make than what to eat or drink when and which place to swim: the pool or The Gulf.
Now that I'm back home, though, and it's cold and rainy still, the choice is an easy one for me: I'm leaving again, and I won't eat anything in order to save money for mas cerveza!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home