Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Monday, June 02, 2008

"Numnah" Makes for Great TV

I'm not a great watcher of television. Old movies, MASH episodes and a few other things which occasionally catch my eye are standard fare. I'm not beyond "Family Guy" or "South Park," and Keith Olberman on "Countdown" gets more than a once-in-a-while viewing. Mostly, I look to comedic things because real life is generally not funny. As such, I would not ordinarily catch the Scripps National Spelling Bee which, for some reason, is usually telecast on ESPN. This for many reasons, but mostly...
I finished second in the county spelling bee in eighth grade. I could have gone to the state finals and then the national finals had I been able to spell "calisthenics" correctly. Odd that I can do so now without complication. My story at the time was that the contest was held in a public school, and I thought I would be doomed to hell for entering such an edifice...as I say, my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Having seen "Akeelah and the Bee," I understand what it takes to win such a thing, but I still think I could have done it. It took this year's winner Sameesh Misra four attempts to do it, having finished in 98th, 14th and 16th in previous trips to the bee. However, that's not what made this year's event so entertaining...it was a brief misstatement by Mishra that had me rolling in the aisle.
At one point, Mishra was given the word "numnah" which is another term for a saddle pad used underneath a saddle on a horse to prevent chafing by the saddle (Iknow, I know, why didn't they just say "saddle pad"?)
Anyway, Mishra was obviously confused initially by the word, and instead of asking to have it used in a sentence or whether the root was Greek, he attempted to pronounce the word, and it very clearly came out "numb nuts." I could see the camera shake just a bit as the camera person tried to hold back convulsive laughter. Tears were running out of my eyes, and I waitied for the replay. No doubt it's on YouTube now for your entertainment. As I tried to explain the hilarity to my wife, she indicated that she'd never before heard the term and it sounded sexual. I was stunned...EVERYBODY has heard and/or used that term to describe another person's lack of perspicacity.
Sadly, the laughter level dropped as she continued to look puzzled; however, it WAS funny. Maybe one had to be there. Find it on YouTube and then TELL ME it wasn't a reason to wait in hopes of next year's bee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home