Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Does Delta Have U-Haul?

Buying an airline ticket after June 15 will cost you more if you check a bag. So far, only American Airlines is jacking the ticket price by $15 for every bag checked through to a final destination, but you know that's a trend that's going to catch on. Fortunately, I'm traveling sooner.
Really, though, I'm not the problem. I've spent two weeks in Asia with just a carry- on bag, and I absolutely refuse to check a bag since the important things like my baseball glove and running shoes, might get lost. I can imagine some baggage handler or TSA person saying, "Hey, those are some really stylin' green and orange shoes," and lifting them from my bag. Of course, there's always the possibility, too, that I'll forget to put them back on after going through security in a rush to get my belt back on before my pants fall down again. Anyway, I felt the necessity of explaining such things to my wife recently when she began packing for a Florida beach wedding coming up next week.
"It's on the beach...take some flip flops and a sundress, and you'll be fine," I said hopefully as we shopped for a suitcase larger than one a magician or a ventriloquist uses.
"I'm taking four shirts, two pair of shorts, one pair of dress pants, some flip flops...and my baseball glove and running shoes. You don't need much more than that," was my quip as I handed over the Kohl's card and found two men and a truck to take the newly-acquired luggage to the car.
All of this was, apparently, to no avail as the extra bedroom was soon bulging with a veritable Ann Taylor Loft full of acoutrement. True, we'll be in Florida for six days, but how much is there to do besides lie around the pool and drink fruity things(drinks, that is) with umbrellas in them? I do not plan to change clothes every day even, and I can always jump into the pool for a good rinsing off.
The lineup reads: 3 polo shirts, two Tommy Bahama shirts for the wedding/dinner,one pair of slacks, four pair of underwear, some socks (maybe), my iPod w/Jimmy Buffett loaded, and a pair of sandals and pajamas (actually, my boxers from two days ago). My simple packing tips should make it all fit nicely.
1. Roll EVERYTHING. it takes less space and prevents wrinkles (I learned this from an exchange student once).
2. Underwear and socks inside shoes. Thus, the number of each of those items depends on how big my shoes are. I'll actually wear one pair of socks on the plane since the TSA people hate it when I go sockless and they have to check my feet for exploding toenails. I'll probably wear underwear,too, just in case I get in an accident.
3. Heavy things on the bottom and lighter things on top. That means the baseball glove goes in first and my 1-qt bag with non-explosive liquids (SPF 5 million, waterproof sunscreen included)goes in last.
4. Dress for Wisconsin. This means I will have on a T-shirt, a long-sleeved shirt and a fleece for the trip. A supporter AND underwear mean less in the bag as well. No packing...of course, all of that might be a bit much when I get to Florida, but I'm not packing it. Coming back, I'll probably need all of it when I hit green Bay.
Additionally, I'll have my Swiss Army backpack (really! Wenger now makes backpacks) into which I can stuff everything else I'll need: iPod, nifty shades, computer, books and fifty pieces of my wife's undwerwear which she will insist on bringing...oh yeah, snacks, because airline food is, well, non-existent these days, and a small car with circus guys in it.
All in all, if you have to pack for a summer trip, follow thse packing suggestions, and you can thumb your nose at the airlines insisting you pay another fee for a packed bag in addition to the fuel surcharge, the ticketing fee, the take-off and landing fee, and the extra nickel to get out of the boat (oh, right, that was in Thailand. I'm lucky to have made it back from that excursion).
My only real problem is that we'll still have to wait for the caravan bringing the rest of my wife's stuff. To make the trip more exciting, and June 1 marks the beginning of hurricane season. Bon voyage!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home