Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My Summer's Planned Around Tunes

My pal Bill called me last week to let me in on the fact that the band in which he plays will be opening for Buckwheat Zydeco in a couple of weeks: backstage passes were implied, but only after I told him that I'd be out of the state on the play date. Otherwise, I'd be there extra early just to stand for three hours in front of the stage. "Big Mouth & the Power Tool Horns" is a fun, funky mix of musicians, but I can see them locally many times: Buckwheat Zydeco, on the other hand, would have been a twice-in-a-lifetime opportunity. In spite of that disappointment, you'll be happy to know that the "Summer of Reunion Band Tours" is upon us. Bands like Motley Crue, Yes and The Police (who I saw last summer at Wrigley Field) are out in force. If you're a 70's fan, you have the opportunity to catch Journey, Heart and Cheap Trick.
The B-52's and The Black Crowes have new albums (digital, of course) out, so they'll be hitting the road. Packaged tours are getting popular: The Regeneration Tour (or Geritol Tour, if you prefer) features The Human League, Belinda Carlisle, ABC and Dead or Alive...I mean, I have 45's of those people!
The ultimate display of chutzpah (I hope I spelled that correctly) has to be the reunion tour for ...ready? The New Kids on the Block! I mean, after all, they are NOT new, and they are definitely NOT kids anymore; however, I can see the 25-yr-old ex-teenyboppers scream every time one of the "kids" gyrates and gives some sweet dance move, prior to pulling a hammy. Face it, nobody is going to be screaming at a Yes concert...getting stoned, sure, but screaming? no way. And people will probably go the CrueFest just to see if Pamela Anderson shows up (if she has not been kidnapped by Borat). So, the musical palette is especially colorful this summer, but there are some bands that I would like to see even more than those already mentioned.

It would be great to see The Beatles play again.
A Country Outlaws tour would be fun...but only if Jerry Jeff Walker was involved.
I would definitely pay to see The Clash, The Romantics and Buddy Holly & the Crickets.
In a heartbeat I would drive to see Toots & the Maytals, Peter Tosh and Bob Marley in the "Legalize It" Tour.

However, since gas is rapidly approaching $4.00 a gallon, my plans are to catch Big Mouth & The Power Tool Horns every other weekend and shout ridiculous things at the stage like "Tear the roof off the sucka!" or "She's a Brick House!"
Soon, the band won't even advertise where they're playing in fear that I'll show up.
Rock on this summer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home