Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

What's Not To Understand?

"It's a game I don't like to watch and people I don't understand." That was the big ol' bucket of cold water doused on me today by my buddy Joseph. He is a college coach and is intimately associated with almost every sport (unless one counts NASCAR as a sport). The "genius" Dan says that it can't be counted as a sport unless there's defense involved...I'll have to ask him if defensive driving counts. If it does, then maybe the pro drivers are involved in a sport in the same way that my wife is involved in a sport every time she rides with me. Anyway, Joseph was talking about football, specifically Green Bay Packers football when he made that comment.
In his defense, I will say that Joseph grew up in Jersey and spent most of his professional career in the South...hence, Packersmania is not part of his life fabric. He played football from age 5 until age 18 so he knows the game (though he did say that many people presume he doesn't like it because he doesn't understand it. He was particularly irked that more than a few women have made that comment to him)I knew this but wanted to share the news anyway.
"What news?" you may well ask. Our family won the lottery yesterday. No, not the million-dollar kind...one more important and life-changing. Both my wife and daughter were selected in the Brown County lottery for fans allowed to buy tickets to one Packers game this coming year. It's a complicated story involving taxes and county residents so I won't bother with the details. Each of the girls can now purchase four tickets at $60 each to a Packers game for the upcoming season. The lottery goes further since their names now get put into another lotto and get drawn with all the other winners to see which game they get to watch and where they get to sit (above row 60, for sure!).
Neither has ever been to a game, and I'm not certain just how excited they will be if they get a December game (where the cheese for the nachos will be rock-hard and the onions for the brats are frozen inside the container), but there are plenty of takers in the family. Me? I would like to get tickets to the Vikings or the Bears on the 50-yd. line: EBay, here I come! Of course, since I didn't win anything, that won't be an option.
But I would never say I did not understand Packers fans. I totally get that kind of reality since I see the faithful flock to Lambeau every summer to take the tour and bask in the aura that is the Packers. When asked if I'm a major fan, I usually reply very simply that I belong to a different church and let it go at that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home