Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Friday, January 03, 2014

Is Attractiveness Really That Important?

A recently-released report by researchers Rachel Gordon and Robert Crosnoe suggests that  being attractive was not only a benefit in the social world but in the educational world as well. They posit that physically attractive youngsters are seen as more intelligent, have better personalities, and have greater potential for future success...according to their teachers! Yes! The very people who are entrusted to guide them through all the hormone-driven formative years are thought to generally based their assessments on physical attractiveness! Wow! While I certainly hope this is not the norm, I can understand how such an impression might form. Youngsters who are used to being told about their positive appearance are far more likely to be confident than those who are routinely ignored...or worse: described in unflattering terms at home, on the playground, and, possibly, in the classroom.
It is definitely true that our society places a high priority on attractiveness and adhering to "norms."
When I try to discuss with my students what it's like to be any sort of minority, I must admit that it's hard since I've always been male, white, tall, and reasonably smart (mostly smart-assed, some would say with very little irony). Yet, I see students every day who struggle to fit...or cover up inadequacies with outlandish behavior and/or clothing/hair body art styles.
I do not have any sort of answer...I know that as a physical educator, I tried to teach specifically toward the less-gifted performers...with the realization that they needed me to accept and encourage them while the gifted athletic types didn't need me at all. Somehow, we all made it together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home