Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Thursday, December 26, 2013

"I Dare You Stupit"

Perhaps encouraged by the Marilyn Monroe movie about people liking things hot, I don't think this latest discovery will come as a pleasant surprise to more than a few people. We're talking hot peppers here. The folks at Wing Zone routinely try to convince me that they have a secret stash of ghost peppers, purportedly the hottest pepper on earth...and they will allow me to have it on my wings if I'm man enough.
Well, I have news for them: the ghost pepper days are over. There's a new sheriff of hot in town, and the ghost pepper had better get ready to dance.
So, let's talk hot here. Heat in food is measured in something called Scoville units. The typical jalapeno pepper is rated at about 8,000 units while the ghost pepper is somewhere around 1,400,000. Pepper spray has a rating of just about 2 million units. In 2012, the New Mexico State University Chile Pepper Institute rated the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion pepper at 1.2 million Scoville units and claimed it to be the hottest. Now comes the real hottie: the Carolina Reaper.
This fiery pepper heats up to 2.2 million Scoville units, making it easily the hottest pepper around...but don't take my word for it. This product is commercially available from the Pucker Butt Pepper Company in South Carolina in sauces and other products such as I Dare You Stupit. there is a web site.
Go on...I dare you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home