Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Hopelessly Falling Further Behind



iPad Technology at 6 Months

A student and I were studying cohorts and period events today in preparation for a Sociology quiz, and it occurred to me that I was several generations behind her. As a Baby Boomer, I leave in my wake (the water kind, not the dead kind) Generation X and the Millennial (a.k.a. Gen Y) generations as I stumble inexorably through what used to be science fiction...remember Buck Rogers and the 21st Century? Maybe it was the 25th...I surely hope so. Anyway, Woodstock and Viet am were not even blips on this young lady's radar though the September 11th attacks she could recall quite clearly. Frankly, I don't think she even knew about the whole JFK thing, either, but then we got onto technology, and I was totally left behind. She didn't know anyone who didn't have a cell phone...ever! Rotary phone? Oh somebody she visited once had one but she was not sure how it worked.
Email? She almost never checks it! Anybody who wants to get in touch will text her. Amazing. Even the internet, so amazingly new technology, is old hat. She doesn't remember NOT having it.
I may have a cell phone, and this blog would be difficult without a keyboard and the internet, but I refuse to tweet on Twitter. I have a Facebook account but check it only when someone sends me a message. Farmville? Not on your life. Chatroulette? Now, there's a possibility.
It seems if one goes to chatroulette.com, he or she can be randomly assigned a face to face connection with one of the literally millions of people who have nothing better to do than hook up in cyberspace with total, randomly-selected strangers. There's one individual who connects randomly then plays on the piano and sings about the person he sees on the screen. He's a YouTube sensation, and it is actually somewhat amazing how he manages to do it.
AS for me? When I watched my granddaughter "read" The Cat in the Hat on an iPad last weekend, I ealized that it will be no time at all before I am hopelessly anachronistic yet again.
sigh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home