Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Monday, May 03, 2010

Conspiculously Consumed



The real story is $$$$$

Not to channel the J. Geils Band or anything, but when I looked up while traipsing through the ground level floor of Macy's I was certain that I had gotten lost. However, I'd simply wandered into the American Girl section of the store, surrounded by a crush of pre-teens with their mothers in tow, grabbibng all the latest styles and accessories for their doll. But which one? There are, by my estimate, a dozen different dolls from which to choose, and each had her own little kiosk think to separate the worshippers by their denomination.
There was Addy, a little African-American doll from 1864, all dressed up in a frock and cute little bonnet. But why was she smiling? I doubt that many children of her race were all smiles back then. However, if you read the "biography," she and her mother were escaped slaves, heading off to a life of freedom and possibilities. OK, I guess I could smile at that, but the story goes on to say how they had to leave the baby behind because its crying might get them caught. Wow! This is a story bound to be popular.
There's also Kaya, a Nez Perce Indian, and Josefina, born in New Mexico and looking Hispanic. Of course, there are Anglo dollas as well, including Kit Kittredge who survived the Great Depression after her dad had lost everything...seriously...and, of course, the 2010 Doll of the Year Lanie.
And the accessories? Unlimited. One can even buy an ear-piercing kit and drill holes in the favorite doll's ears to accept jewelry. OOPS! Drill too much? The child can send her doll to the doll hospital (Really!) where the doll will be fixed as good as new and returned with a certificate of good health in approximately three weeks. Of course, it takes that long for a seven-year-old just to fill out the insurance form.
Don't forget to dress that cutie pie,too. A set of underwear will set Mom back $10, and outfits range, as nearly as I could figure, between $25 and $60 though by no means did I do an exhaustive search. Can you say sticker shock, Mom?
All in all, I'm glad my daughter has grown out of the doll stage and my granddaughter will more likely be using her iPad than cavorting with high-priced fictitious characters.
I could not afford it.

1 Comments:

At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once banged my sister's American Girl Bitty Baby into a purple painted wall (on accident of course) and we had to send it to the baby hospital to have its head replaced. $65 that thing cost me. Though I guess a new head can't be cheap...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home