Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Seriously, Can It Get ANY Worse?

MY TURN TO VENT. To say that the last six weeks have been among the worst of my life might be overstating it a bit. It's not been like the time a few years ago when my parents died within four days of each other, or the time when one of our kids was denied a chance to play college basketball due to an aneurysm, or...well, you get the picture. If there has been a major disruption to the calm we'd hoped would be life, we've had it over the years. Lately, though, it just seems to continue to pile up. Maintaining a positive outlook is getting nigh on impossible, especially when my blood pressure was 140/90 recently, and it's never been above 110/65 or so. Oh, and I've lost 10 pounds in the last six weeks...hard to eat when my stomach hurts all the time. Sleep is fitful at best, and someone told me just yesterday that I look like hell. Go figure.
And other people are just too damn optimistic and cheerful. I hate that.
This week? a routine dentist visit brought the following: "Wow! That tooth is fractured in a few places. I think the best thing would be just to take it out because you'll end up losing it anyway." Maybe not so bad for most people, but I fear dentistry like some people fear snakes, or vampires, or elevators, or...
Today? I went to the funeral of one of "my" students' father. That was a gut-wrencher, to be sure.
"Look on the bright side," you say.
I've got my health for a little while longer anyway.
I do have a great family even when we struggle.
My sweetie is very supportive even though she is struggling, too.
All of that is true, and I believe that things will improve.
Who knew it could be so hard to smile?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home