Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Demystifying Fandom

It struck me last week as I was walking through a department store, scanning the "70% OFF!" racks in case there was something I couldn't live with out. Since I now have to wear shirts with collars on them to work, I'm always scanning the racks for polo shirts. This particular day, I found one, in my size, marked 'way down to $2.50. I was just about to consider it, but then I noticed the color: purple, the color of royalty in the old days. Unfortunately, it is also the major color featured on the uniforms of a rival school (back when I was teaching full-time), so I quickly unhanded the garment and went about my way, hoping that no one I knew had noticed. This is what "fans" do...unreasonable? probably. Childish. no doubt, but I would not buy or wear anything that color.
This effect also comes into play when people who are not associated with sports ask me about my job at Lambeau Field. They are continually mystified at the vast numbers of people who show up JUST to see the stadium and gain a glimpse of the team. For example, a family drove yesterday from North Dakota just to watch the inta-squad scrimmage on Family Night...and then rain and lightnig combined with the aluminum bleachers to ruin the whole deal. Undaunted, they were back at the stadium today, asking to take a tour. A woman also brought three kids from Washington, D.C. to spend a few days in Green Bay JUST to see the stadium! (not her...one of her kids)Fans!
This mirrors my experience last evening: Yankees (my team) and Boston (the hated enemy) were playing on TV...top of the 9th, Boston's last chance...and the local station cut away for four commercials then an hour's worth of jabbering prior to the Packers' scrimmage. Livid does not describe my reaction, but that's what being a fan is all about.
If you are a fan of a band or a team or a political party even, anything like that, you already know what I mean. Logic plays no part...rationality goes out the window. It's OUR team.
Go, team, go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home