Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Things I Do Not Need

It seems that as special occasions creep up every year, like my birthday which will be here soon, or Christmas, or Father's Day...you get the picture, my sweetie and kids ask me what I want or need as a gift. I genreally say something like, "Well, there's not much I really need or want except a sports car," thus guaranteeing that the gifter has a choice to make: a sports car or nothing. Usually, it's nothing, and I'm OK with that. However, as I sat NOT watching the World series tonight because a local TV station is in a snit with the cable company, I decided that there were certain things I did NOT need more than others (if that makes any sense...it's late)

1. I do not need corporate America fattening the wallets of their investors while arguing over how much each should overcharge me to watch the World Series. (Since the Packers games are also on Fox, I miss them, but there's always my transistor radio...which I suppose could be used for the World Series as well)

2. I do not need political parties spending thousands of dollars on wardrobes for their candidates so they can look like Joe Average American. There's a REASON I did not check the box on my tax return to give money to political elections.

3. I do not need people who would like my vote attempt to get it by lying, hedging the truth or presuming I'm an idiot to believe all the rhetoric bs they put out. As such, I have sworn off ALL political TV commentators and, basically, any TV news in general. (if you don't know it, all the networks are owned by major corporations with a stake in who gets elected: spin goes the "news.")

4. I definitely do not need my neighbor's leaves blowing onto my lawn. I love the tree, but I think his teenage sons could come over and reclaim the leaves! Raking them every time I try to putt on my golf-course-like-green lawn slows down the game.

5. I have absolutely NO need of the cold, cotton sheets on my bed every night when I jump in. It's not bad enough that I'm already cold. Of course, we have not yet turned on the heat in our house for the winter: holding out for Halloween, at the earliest. Accounting for a savings of, maybe $25 is a good enough reason...after all, as a "restructured" person, I'm on a fixed income! It's also no wonder that each of our kids has his or her place heated to about a hundred.

6. I certainly don't need the cold sore I think I'm getting!

7. I guess I really don't have any need for a sports car, either. It's going to be winter here for the next nine months, so maybe a sled would be more appropriate.

With a fall/winter birthday and Christmas being in winter, I'm just going to have to wait for Father's Day in June. By then, however, all the above which I really don't need now will be history. A new list will be in order of the things I really don't need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home