Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

It Takes A Village...Or Several

I think it's about time I updated everyone on my research into retirement living in an age-restricted community. Actually, I didn't do much research, I just read a book called Leisureville by Andrew Blechman. My curiosity was piqued simply because I know at least ten retired people who live there and are constantly relating how wonderful it is. Since I might actually retire in ten years, I thought it in my best interest to check it out. And the result is...
No, thanks. Having 36 golf courses so I can play a different one every day would be OK...for a couple of months. Having fitness centers and cruising around in a golf cart would be OK...for a while. Eating at the same five restaurants not named Taco Bell would get tiresome...I like variety. Being surrounded by only people my age would be...well, icky. Nothing against people my age, but I find that I am much more involved in life when I'm around a mix of ages, races and genders (The Villages in Florida has a ratio of 2 women for every guy...perfect for the Beach Boys, but not me). So what do the people there like about it?
They love not having everybody else's kids around making noise and being obnoxious, what with skateboards and loud music and all (after all, The Villages effectively closes down at 9:30).
They love not having to pay taxes to support things like schools and civic development (all the development they need is planned for them, and they have no input other than to pay for it). They seem to love not being bothered at all by the outside world (they have their own gates to seal them off, a "good news" newspaper and their own radio station playing from every outdoor light pole. No requests taken). Of course, I could use the internet to continue reading all the news I read now AND I could use it to play more than "golden oldies" (sometimes, I just gotta ROCK OUT!) When I heard the DJ say that is was "...a wonderful day in The Villages" for the third time in any one day, I might just lose it and do something definitely against the covenants...like putting out my garbage a day early or mowing my lawn in an unacceptable pattern...or not covering my grill...or using plastic lawn furniture...well, you get the idea.
These folks don't mind the fact that they are not allowed to paint anything inside their own home or put out any "yard art" (OK, I could go with the yard art one). Many of them actually wash their driveways...I don't do that now. I'll leave that to Jamie next door.
While there is something of a representative board, in truth all the decisions are made by the developer, and anyone who doesn't like it can damn well sell out and leave.
Truth be told, I have not met anyone who lives in such a place who has not loved it completely...even my uncle Bill who moved into such a place in Texas raved about it...of course, that could have just been the heat talking! He liked being around people his age...he liked the peace and quiet...he liked all the amenities.
If it were that simple, maybe I'd like it,too, but I've never been comfortable with people telling me what to do...just too much of a brat, I guess. Blechman's feeling was much like mine: he was happy where he was with a mix of neighbors and a community with some life.
The real problem with these places, I think, is that most of the development will get old and infirm about the same time. "Younger" retiress won't want to buy into a place that is filled with assisted living facilities for those who moved in 15 years ago...and remember, they BOUGHT the place. It seems that people buy something like that to enjoy life; good for them...but it seems like it would be a tough place to grow infirm in since your money is tied up in ownership of a property nobody wants to buy.
Besides, as the aquifers get more and more depleted (and they will), how will the golf courses stay green? Astroturf?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home