Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Life Changes

It's at least quasi-official. I began this two years ago in order to chronicle my last year in public education (you do the math!). I have five more days until it becomes official: after the 15th I can no longer call for a do-over an "un"retire. It's going to happen barring a suden panic attack on my part or another cataclysmic happening like the need to get a projection TV AND a new car. The feeling hit me the other day as I mailed my retirement statement in to the Wisconsin Employee's Trust Fund indicating my last day as June 5th (a day that will live in __________fill in the blank). I can never go back once I've left, and there's this nagging uncertainty. It fills my wakeful nights and is never far from my thoughts: the last time to act as a classroom teacher, something I've done for more than 30 years, is rapidly approaching. Will I weep unabashedly or kick my heels together as Mabel Waterstreet did when she retired during my first or second year of teaching in Algoma? Will the new teacher in my place have enough pictures to fill the office the way I did with Doc Savage and Elvis Costello posters as well as a myriad pictures of my family, or will those holes in the wall stare forlornly for the next 30 years? Does it matter? Probably not.
At least I've had my turn. A local college coach just moved on to the big time recently, and his three assistants are now looking for work. That's got to be a punch in the gut...at least I get to make the call that affects (or is it "effects," grammarians?) just me and my immediate family, all of whom are incredibly supportive of my decision. I won't be as well off financially, but teachers seldom get rich anyway...it will be just another dimension to the old "paycheck to paycheck" lifestyle.
Our superintendent mentioned to me that I should go to the Business, Industry and Education dinner to be held soon so that they (the ubiquitous "they") could recognize me with a free meal and a pat on the back. My response was that I would not attend in order to be recognized for something so ordinary as retiring. He presumed I was attempting to be humble (go figure!) and pressed me to attend. What I meant was that I feel as though I've done remarkable things for the school district during my tenure and was never recognized for any of them. Cynical? maybe, but like a good relationship of any kind, I feel it's important to recognize the positive as many times as possible, not just when the other is leaving.
"Oh, I'll miss you so much" carries little weight when it seems as if you haven't noticed me for years.
So, it sounds to me like I'm ready. Besides, the union gives retirees $100, and I just bought a new iPod! Granted, it's not a projection TV like my kids want me to get, but I'll soon be on a fixed income, and I cannot afford to be a spendthrift!
BTW, "affects" is correct...a teacher 'til the end :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home