Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Sunday, April 01, 2007

What's In A Number?

It's all about the numbers, it would seem. Oh, some are more important than others: 16 is big; 21 is huge; 40 is a major turning point in anyone's life. I guess lottery numbers are important if one is foolish enough to give away money every week in faint hope of the big payday (I'm more of a Butterfinger guy myself). We no longer have to remember phone numbers since they're all on speed dial. The numbers involved in gasoline prices...well, let's forget them. I've just discovered something about MY numbers. I'm not as old as I thought I was!
That is not to say I have lied about my chronological age like Satchel Paige or some of the modern-era big leaguers from microscopic Latin American countries. As far as I know, I am the age my driver's license purports me to be. Mom's no longer around to ask, but I cannot imagine her lying to me all those years about something like that...unless it involved getting me out of the house and into kindergarten sooner. This is important because my retirement is based on that age. The surprise is that I'm not, physically, that old.
I came across a website, realage.com, which uses numbers from blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. to arrive at a number which indicates how "old" a person really is. Fortunately for me, I live a relatively healthy life though not perfect. Not being addicted to heroin counted points in my favor. Exercising more than my options also gave me positive numbers, and not smoking anything more than my tires occasionally also added plus numbers. I think I scored big because I watch romantic comedies, too, but that might have been the Netflix profile...memory going...must remember.
All in all, I'm eight years younger than my driver's license says I am. That's good news, but my wife says that I'm now too young to retire...just when she was looking forward to having me do all the cooking and cleaning.
Serves her right. I'm going to look at HER numbers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home