Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

TechTalk for Grownups

The subject of "friending" came up in class the other day; it added to my vocabulary, I must admit. "Friending" is the term used by people who use internet chat places like "MySpace.com" or "FaceBook.com" It refers to the number of people who see your page and decide that they want to be your friend. They ask permission to be added to your page as a friend, added to a list of other friends. In some cases, this is a sign of status: the more "friends" one has, the more popular he/she can feel. Of course, there are pros and cons to cyber-friends, but that's not really my point here. I want my own spot on the internet.
"MySpace.com." generally caters to preteens and teens (though not exclusively), and "FaceBook" is meant for older teens/college students. If I'm not mistaken, one needs a school email address to get logged onto this one. Anyway, that means my demographic really has no place to go to connect with other "mature" people; thus, I have a genius plan: a website for people over 35.
See, many people over 35 really don't understand all the inner workings of the internet. Some cannot use email, some cannot download music, and many really don't know how to navigate much beyond the basics. While "MySpace.com" has Tom (your first cyber-friend) to help you navigate the site initially, I don't think I like that idea. I would want my picture there with lips moving as words poured out. My site would give specific, illustrated directions to enable even a beginner to hook up to email, solve sudoku puzzles, get free and for-pay music downloads, provide directions to begin a weblog (such as you are reading now)and, of course, a chat room to discuss things that pertain to us such as "Does fiber really help me to stay regular?" or "Why don't I feel bad now that the kids have left home?" I can just see the monetary benefits as groups like AARP and a myriad of drug companies advertise. Beginners won't know much about pop-ups so such ads could be very lucrative. However, every genius plan has a couple of potential problems.
What if someone already beat me to this idea? There could be such a website out there already, and I don't know about it. That could be a problem, but not the biggest. The real issue involves what to call the site.
My students had some suggestions today, but I'm not sure I liked any of them: "Geezers.com" didn't strike me as appropriate. "GoldenYears.com" didn't seem to fit the bill, either. "OldPeople.com" didn't make the top of the list, either. I really had no great ideas, I must say. "Howthehelldoesthisinternetwork.com" seemd a little ponderous, and "OlddogNewtrix.com" didn't seem like it would get those folks under 40 to join. This genius plan will take some time to evolve. Since I don't know enough about the process to do it myself, I guess some 4th grader will have to help me set it up. Right now, I think I'll call one of my under-40 kids and get some ideas prior to naming my site. I guarantee you, it will be one to remember.
Wanna be my friend?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home