Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

"LOL" Laughin' or Lovin'?

I'll be one of the first to admit that I'm not quite up to speed with the new language...one of the first because all my kids will race to see who's first to make that comment. I can do email, and I know how to connect "call waiting" on my phone, but the rest of the language has passed me by. Now comes word from another part of the world which indicates that students will be allowed to use "textspeak" (my term) on standardized tests instead of using the actual words. "C U L8R," for example, means that someone will be in visual contact with me at a point in time after now. New Zealand education authorities have accepted this form of communication as acceptable for testing purposes. No child left behind, indeed!
I have long railed against manufacturer's who purposely, I hope, misspell a name in order to get attention of the shelf-purveying public. "Mello Yello" "Chux" diapers and Miller's "Lite" beer come to mind immediately. I have been so adamantly opposed to such misuse of the language that I have refused to even consider using these products. A billboad proclaiming "Turn left at the lite in Luxemburg" sets me to muttering under my breath every day I drive past it. Thus, I can eat Fruit Loops but not Chex cereal. Ketchup is out as well...I'd even take mayonnaise over something spelled phonetically.
I try to appear normal by saying I don't text message people because my fingers just are not coordinated enough. Truth is, I cannot bear to stoop to using acronyms because I consider them a lazy person's shortcut to good writing. Imagine my surprise, then, when my wife suggested a new restaurant named "Xcetera."
If misspellings agitate me, mispronunciations positively set my teeth grinding (which is why I wear a splint in my mouth at bedtime!) Say "nucular" for "nuclear" or "jewlery" for "jewelry", and I will cross you off my list of intelligentia. You can thus imagine my horror when we pulled into the parking lot at Xcetera. Naturally, I whined a lot about my princples but got no sympathy and a lot of "You know, there are bigger problems in the world than people using the language creatively." Grumbling (to myself), I trudged into the somewhat darkened interior noting there were few customers...no doubt grammarians of Green Bay were equally put off by the name. As it turned out, we were simpoly early, and the eatery was doing a land-office business by the time we'd finished our fabuous meal followed by Italian shortcake.
Now I feel guilty. Do I renounce my previous stand or simply put this one down as an aberration? At least the menu spelled "pumpernickel" correctly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home