Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Revelation Day

Tonight's "date night" movie was Tenure, and I think we got it mostly because Luke Wilson was in it...I love the Wilson brothers in movies. It also promised to be somewhat of a comedy even though Owen always plays something of an angst-ridden misfit who always seems on the cusp of disaster. This was no different.
The movie was not exactly fast-paced, but there were a couple of redeeming qualities: the "wingman" character was played by an actor whose name I didn't catch, but he reminded me so much of Karl Walters...a deceased friend who made my days in Algoma a joy. Plus, the story had to do with a professor at a tiny college who is up for tenure but seems destined to be overwhelmed by a newly-hired tenure-track Yalie.
Interestingly, seeing this movie coincided with my last teaching day for the semester. While we have a final essay (timed) on Monday, this was really my last opportunity to interact with my students in the more informal setting of the classroom...and I realized something, just as Wilson's character did: we are teachers because it's what we're good at. Whether that sentiment will be in evidence in my teacher evaluations that decide whether or not I get to teach college kids again remains to be seen.
But, in my heart, I know...
I was born to teach.
Though there's little actual entertainment value in grading essays, when I walking to the room today, I felt joy.
And I smiled.

1 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As one of the lucky individuals who've had you as a teacher, I can't agree more - you definitely were called to be an educator and we are grateful you followed that calling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home