Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Hot Fashion Tips From One Who Knows

People (my family mostly) have long cast aspersions in my directions with regard to fashion. I've long held the belief that if I like something, it's OK to buy three of them in different shades; in addition, if a particular item has not worn out, there's no reason to dispense with it. If one lives long enough, it will ALL come back in style, even shirts with epaulets. With those basic principles in mind, it's good to see some basic vindication on occasion. Here's what's coming back in 2010, according to Ellen Warren, a fashion writer for McClatchey-Tribune Information services:
1. Jeans and tops which DO NOT leave unexposed skin around the mid-section. Now, I would never do this anyway, but I got really tired of the muffin tops on every woman I saw. Did they not see themselves in the mirror? How could this be flattering in any way?
The same goes for jeans with a million holes and slashes in them. If my mother ever caught me wearing anything like that out of the house...well, I wouldn't be leaving the house without a new box home, if you get my drift.
2. Oversized clothes. Again, my mother would be mortified to have people think she couldn't afford to dress her children properly...or herself, for that matter. Baggy, disheveled-looking outfits were for poor people or those who didn't know any better. The sight of her wearing my dad's clothes would have signaled the Apocalypse, pretty much.
3. The plus-sized model has become all the rage as has dressing well for the plus-sized person. Now there are more choices, and some that might even be flattering...but no horizontal stripes, I'm told.
4. Hats, especially fedoras, are making a comeback. I'm neutral here...it was cool for Bear Bryant and Frank Sinatra, but I think it might not be a look for me. However, it might be better than a baseball cap so large that it covers the tops of my ears...I STILL don't get that one. Again, if it really doesn't fit, that's a sign that times are tough.
5. And finally, the cardigan sweater is making a comeback. Bing Crosby, Ward Cleaver, and all the gang would be proud to see this staple making a return. Personally, taking the time to button or unbutton such a thing wastes more time than I have allotted for dressing, but I have definitely come back to sweaters with a vengeance.

Sadly, though, it appears that it might finally be time to dispose of my red platform shoes. I doubt if those will EVER make any kind of resurgence. Disco is dead, and I'm not feeling so hot myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home