Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

"...yesterday don't matter if it's gone..."

This was a time warp moment, to be sure. I get these every now and then, and not just when my kids or my students make some snide remark about age.
As the story unfolds, I was driving to Milwaukee to attend the yearly "Reunion Tour" of a group of teachers with whom we worked years ago. Not being one to listen to the radio without a remote control to edit out crap I do not want to hear (or cannot sing or pound the dashboard in rhythm to) I utilized the disc changer in my car. Mick Jagger was simping out on "Ruby Tuesday" when the awful realization hit me. I was singing along, on purpose and with a degree of gusto, a piece of music that was almost 50 years old! Imagine that! It's like I morphed into my very uncool father when he said things like "shake, rattle and roll" when he wanted us to hurry. Of course, it was only years later that I realized that he was channeling Bill Haley...and here I was, doing virtually the same thing!
Checking my iPod later, I discovered that almost half of the tracks ensconced are at least 30 years old, and some are much older! (I don't count the big bands or Frank Sinatra since they were before my time, and I keep them to upgrade the quality of tracks like "Little Blue Man."
Suddenly, I felt very old, and while few will denigrate the accomplishments in rock and toll of The Rolling Stones, it just didn't seem right that I should be so personally involved in a tune that old, especially when I've always considered myself a "music person" who kept up with current trends and artists.
And then I discovered that Rod Stewart turned 65 today: a man who has sold more than 100 million records (which probably includes CD sales though I'm not sure about digital downloads! Seriously! He's eligible to collect a pension in Great Britain beginning today.
It's all been too much. I need to clear my iPod and start over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home