Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Monday, January 11, 2010

Cesme...The New Bodrum

I know it's barely into the new year, but I have shoveled enough already. Although the semester break still has two more weeks to run, I'm thinking about spring break already as well. Naturally, then, when the New York Times touted its top 30 or so places to go this year, I just knew most of them would be sunny and warm with a chance of beaches. Not Cambodia where the humidity seemed to be about a zillion and sunshine was mostly of the liquid type (and Tiger beer, of course). Not Vancouver, even though the Olympics will be held there...remember, I've already had my fill of snow, both the six-sided and pyramidal types.So...
While I at could pinpoint most of the acclaimed destinations on a map (a side benefit of having one 8x12 foot wall in our house covered in a world map), I had to admit that there were some locations of which only Fodor could know. That's where Cesme comes in...it's supposed to be the next hot spot in...I'll let you look it up just as I had to do in grade school when Peggy Yohon wouldn't help me spell "bicycle."
Places like Koh Kood, Mysore, and Gargano left me scrambling for the map. Other locales like Marrakesh had me singing the old Crosby, Stills & Nash song while thinking of, say, a fedora and a whip.
Antarctica has to be done NOW since significant restrictions are about to go into place to preserve the fragile ecology of the area: size of ships, number of tiki bars...the usual. Oh yes, and Antarctica is bound to be a bit chilly, what with what's left of the glaciers and all. Penguins? See 'em at the zoo.Istanbul would be another mysterious place I might like to go because of the promise of intrigue and secrets of long-lost civilizations.
In case the travel bug just bit you as well, here are the top five destinations for the year, according to the Times:
Sri Lanka
Seoul the capital of shoe repair...and you can see hundreds of years back in time to North Korea from there
Copenhagen where I would imagine smokeless tobacco is plentiful
The aforementioned Cesme
The Patagonia Wine Country...where you would get to wear all the stuff you got from that upscale urban outfitter!
In case you are wondering about domestic places on the list, there were only three, and while I have been to all of them, I'm not itching to get back anytime soon:
Las Vegas, Breckenridge and Los Angeles. The Big Apple didn't make it...though I would consider returning there in warm weather.
OK, so how many of those could you place on an atlas?
How many of them have piqued your curiosity?
Start packing. I've got to make sure the windshield wiper fluid is topped of in the cars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home