Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Naomi Watts: Best Value?

Consumer Reports magazine is generally an interesting read. Unless I'm looking to purchase electronics (in which case I go to CNet.com), I generally try to be a wise consumer and get specific information ahead of time. I've bought everything from small appliances to cars this way, and I have generally not been disappointed. However, I never really thought of rating actors and actresses in this way, until now. At this time, no less a financial empire than Forbes Magazine has deemed it necessary to list the top ten group of actors who give the best "bang for the buck" as it were...hunting season notwithstanding.
The theory is that for every dollar an actor or actress gets paid, the gross returns could be used to measure how much of a cash cow said performer is...presumably in terms of getting hired for the NEXT blockbuster.
I've spoiled it all by telling you who made the most per dollar earned, so I guess I need to go through the bottom feeders on the list: those who are relatively poor bargains for the studios. Money noted includes not only theater sales but TV rights and DVD sales as well...the whole enchilada, as it were.
The list I saw didn't contain many names, just the most noteworthy ones, I guess. Drew Barrymore was the seventh worst value in Hollywood as she garnered $7.43 for every dollar earned...gee, I think her movies are generally OK though I see most of them on Netflix. Tom Cruise was sixth on the list, bringing in $7.18 for every dollar he was paid.
You get the idea, so let's just skip through the bottom four: Ice Cube (he makes movies?), Eddie Murphy (some real stinkos lately), Billy Bob Thornton (who can watch a guy who wore a vial of Angelina's blood around his neck at one time?), Ewan McGregor (couldn't name anything he's been in), and our winner...the Hollywood megastar who managed to bring in a paltry $3.29 for every dollar he was paid lately...
Will Farrell.
I know a lot of people who think he's just hilarious...I'll admit I chuckled a bit at Semi Pro, but generally, I have avoided him for quite some time. (not that I'm any great judge of quality movies)
So, there you have it...as you rush out on Black-eyed Friday in hopes of scoring some value, just remember not to pick up any DVDs by the bottom six on the list.
I still think Drew Barrymore's movies are OK...how can you NOT love ET?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home