Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

FDA OKs BPA?

As if I didn't have enough to worry about with a crown coming loose in my morning bagel! (I got it before I swallowed it and jammed it back on, thanks for asking...the dentist takes a crack at it tomorrow); now I have to worry about ED because of something I can't see!
The first study done on humans instead of mice has found that being exposed to BPA means a great risk of developing erectile dysfunction and "other" sexual problems in men. First of all, "OTHER" problems? I mean, what other problems could there be that have any consequence on my libidinous life? And at my age, should I even be considering the question? Here's the skinny on the study.
634 male factory workers in China were exposed to moderate levels of BPA on the job, and, compared with men who were not exposed to the chemical that is found in things from can liners to baby bottles, experienced sexual problems like those described as high as four times as often. Additionally, the problems began in months, not after years of exposure. The men were studied over a five-year period so it wasn't exactly a longitudinal study, but it wasn't mice, either!
The same article in today's Washington Post estimated that up to 93% of all Americans have levels of BPA in their bodies. So how did this nefarious thing get into society?
BPA was introduced in the 30s as a synthetic version of estrogen. How it got from there to the inside of plastic, I'm not sure. I know Eddie Bauer and outdoor outfitters of that ilk have been promoting "BPA-free" water bottles for some time, but I had no idea that it could be linked to my, uh, Johnson. (sorry if that seems indelicate)
Anyway, the Food and Drug Administration continues to maintain that BPA is safe, claiming that we get only trace amounts of it. Still, when something is linked to infertility, weight gain, behavioral changes, cancer and diabetes, even if the link is weak, I think I can do without it.
Unfortunately, now I feel like Joe McCarthy must have: instead of a Commie behind every bush, there's BPA in just about everything I use. My options might include a lengthy fast, but that would probably be bad for me,too. I know it would cause behavior changes!
Then again, maybe I'm one of the 3% who has no trace of it. Then again, maybe 60 IS the new 40!

1 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading the possible female side effects had me feeling like the worst mother EVER after giving Violet bottles that included BPA for 6 months before hearing the news.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home