Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Thursday, November 12, 2009

If Carrie Prejean Can...

Fifteen minutes is generally a long time: it takes me that long to bike to work (usually into the wind going AND coming back...somewhat akin to walking uphill both ways); the fifteen minutes it takes me to fall asleep are interminable; the fifteen minutes until opening time on Black Friday is eternal...especially at those temperatures. Those are just some of the reasons that I don't think I would want fifteen minutes of fame. I mean, just look at how these stories of nobody-type people that just keep going and going: the balloon boy and his parents (who will plead guilty this week, I hear); previously unknown and insignificant celebrities who get into it with paparazzi (won't Mike Tyson EVER go away?); the Octomom and/or Jon & Kate.
I mean, really, I have as much talent as any of them (don't let Tyson find out) yet I really don't want to be cast in the bright spotlight of fame as they seem to want to. None of them, in my estimation, has less to offer yet continues to squeeze every last second of fame out than the former Miss California
Seriously, now we find out that her body wasn't really hers in the first place...the pageant is asking for the return of the money it spent on, uh, augmentation surgery. Really? I'm shocked.
I have no problem with her being outspoken with regard to her beliefs...in a way, I wish more people were that honest; but casting herself as the poster girl for "values" in this country only to be featured in a (sort of) sex tape really strikes me as odd. Of course, there's "The View" and "Today" and all of the other talk shows on which she is allowed to continue her tirade that people are "out to smear me." Really?
I had to guffaw a bit when she said, with a straight face, that the tape in question was not a "sex tape" since there was no one else in the film...it was just her, and she was...well, you can figure it out. Her rejoinder that she was 17 and sending it to a boyfriend she thought she could trust sounded 'way too much like all the steroid users who got caught in the latest baseball scandal. "It was the biggest mistake of my life" No, the biggest mistake was thinking it would never surface. Doesn't she read the papers/tabloids? This stuff happens ALL the time.
Of course, with a book coming out to extend her fame time even more, this is titillating stuff (so to speak).
Maybe I'm just too jaded, but I'm not buying any of this...yet, here I am, extending her fifteen minutes by the time it takes to write this and for you to read it.
I just hope I'm never famous. Of course, if I could just make a tape...or go to Argentina...or a bathroom in Minneapolis...or have my own intern...or get a hot tub...
You're right...too icky to even think about!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home