Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Monday, November 02, 2009

Old Dogs Are Slow

Contrary to current thought, I'm not an idiot even though I occasionally do a rather good impression of one. It's just that I like order and consistency in my life; anything that upsets that barrel of fish...or apple cart...whatever... frustrates me. I know I have to change and grow and all of that stuff, but as I near 60, I think I should have to do less and less of that while everyone else waits on me more and more. That's why the last few days have been frustrating.
In spite of my desire for less change, I absolutely love new technology, and after saving for two years (with the exception of my shoe thing), I broke down and out and bought a new computer. OK, OK, not such a big deal normally, but I made the leap from a PC to a Mac. After all, that PC guy in the commercials was too much like me (dorky), and I knew an image change was required. Oh yeah, the 27" screen was an added bonus that made this new iMac just too good to pass up. Add my educator's discount,and I was hooked. Then came the frustrating part.
"Easy to hook up and get running. You won't believe it!" That from my Mac-savvy son. Not being willing to tackle the whole changeover thing by myself, I figured I'd move the old C into another room so I could keep checking email and the 'net in case I couldn't figure it out...yes, I know, that's called a self-fulfilling prophecy: as soon as I doubted myself, things went kerflooey.
After moving everything...no internet connection. Five calls to tech support merely raised my blood pressure a lot and led to the decision that, perhaps, my modem (being 7 years old) was probably shot: service available in two days. You can see the steam rising from my head even now.
"At least, I can get the feel of the wireless keyboard and mouse while moving my iTunes and address book, etc. from an external drive to the computer," I thought foolishly to myself. I couldn't even find the damn cursor on the screen, despite moving the mouse around more than a baton twirler in the Rose Parade. After swallowing my pride, I called the Mac"daddy," and he solved the simple problem for me: the screen was so big I didn't see the cursor in the corner...AND wireless mice don't work on glass. D'oh! placing the controlling device on the appropriate mouse pad worked wonders!
When the tech guy came today and installed the new modem, everything worked fine. Now I'm basically off and running, composing pictures artistically, cranking the absolutely GREAT sound system and trying to figure out how to import my address book. Of course, there was another lengthy period of time spent with tech support trying to get the email program transferred to the new mac program. I am proud to say that I offered a couple of helpful suggestions when we hit some unfathomable snags...though I could not have done it by myself.
At least I managed to avoid another embarrassing phone call...the guy in India has no idea that I', a rapidly slowing dog
This will keep me off the streets and out of trouble for a few weeks working on the nuances (see? I still know words...just not tech stuff)
All in all, it's been instructive, but making phone calls that prove my inadequacies and rapidly declining "trick-learning " skills have been humbling. (still working on transferring pictures to the blog, though)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home