Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Brought to You by the Number 9: Wednesday!

I am not well-versed on numerology, nor do I particularly care to be. I leave such things to people like Pythagoras who deal (or dealt, in his case)exclusively in numbers. I'm laying that off on my mother who wanted a girl. Deeply disappointed that I was not to be "Mary Catherine," she set about raising me differently. As a result, I have supposed "girl" talents in reading and writing instead of "boy" talents in math and science. Well, it's as good of a theory as I can come up with to explain my hopeless ability with math. Anyway, if you're into numbers, Wednesday of this week is your day: 09/09/09.
Lucky? Unlucky? It all depends on which theory you choose to believe. It is, however you look at it, the last time we will experience a repetition of single digits until 01/01/2101. (you and I won't be around to see that one).
Numerologists ascribe both positive and negative traits with the number nine. On the positive side, nine can represent forgiveness, compassion and success. However, there's a dark side which represents arrogance and self-righteousness...not exactly qualities designed to endear one to others. Back to Pythagoras.
He noted (and if you are smarter than a fifth-grader, you know this also) that the result of adding any two digits resulting from nine multiplied by any other single digits would equal nine (9x3=27...7+2=9) play with it yourself. I don't DO math.
In the Asian world, the number nine has opposite connotations. For the Chinese, that number is second only to the number eight in terms of good fortune...remember the opening of the last Olympics on 08/08/08? Supposedly, the number nine was considered to be so lucky that the palace in the Forbidden City is thought to have 9,999 rooms. Hmmmmm.
If you reside in Japan, though, avoid the number nine at all costs! Second only to the number four in terms of bad karma, the number nine represents suffering...four equates to death...eek! In fact, it is said that some builders in Japan even avoid the number nine in buildings like we avoid the number 13. I guess they'd avoid four as well.
There you have it. Now you know to either get out of bed tomorrow or burrow deeply under the covers. Either way, let's hope that we all make it to Thursday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home