Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What To Sacrifice?

Even those of us not living in N'awlins know that tomorrow is Ash Wednesday...not that I'm walking around, baring my chest, drinking myself into a stupor and strangling myself with beaded necklaces in preparation for the austeriety that is Lent. You may not even believe in the "I must sacrifice something for 40 days before Easter" ritual. Really, it's something like the reverse of New Year's resolutions but with a drop-dead date. On Easter, we can all return to our heathenly (?) ways. Somehow, it's easier if we know there's going to be an end to it. Oh, we know there will be an end to the New Year's resolutions,too, (usually within a week), but that's NOT a good thing. In fact, it may just be the REASON we deprive ourselves for 40 days. And, I must say, it's far better than wearing a hair shirt.
My sweetie once gave up Starbucks frapaccino for Lent, and it was NOT a happy sight. "I'm NOT addicted," she would snarl every day; through incredible willpower, she managed to hold out the requisite number of days, hours and minutes, but I swear we were at a 24-hour grocery store at the crack of midnight on Easter morning. We (that's the editorial "we") awaited the traditional stone rolling celebration in highly-caffeinated bliss.
I'm not usually one to give up things. I figure my dirt-poor childhood deprived me of 'way more than the average person, so I'm maintaining my regimen just to try to catch up. I have, however, run across a novel idea: it seems like many people in the blogosphere have decided to give up Facebook for Lent!
Now, this is an interesting concept, but is it possible? Is there a Facebookers Anonymous to help with a step plan? It IS, after all, addicting. If you think the idea may have some merit, here are some nicorette-like substitutes to try:

1. Walk up to people, poke them in the side and walk away with no explanation.

2. Make a list of 25 things which describe you then put it in your neighbors' mailboxes. See how long it takes them to call the police.

3. Write down all the names of people you hope never to see again.

4. Call your friends on the (gasp!) telephone just to hear their voice inflections. Also, no group calling...talk to ONE person at a time.

5. Make a list, albeit a short one, of all the people who really give a *#@! about you, and send them an actual card expressing your happiness in their friendship.

6. Start a blog in which you can do all the things you've done on Facebook without the guilt of having everyone read it (since very few people will think you're cool enough to have a blog, anyway).

Don't blame me if none of these is effective. It's YOUR addiction...you got yourself hooked, and now you have to live with it...and live with all your friends knowing about it!

See you on Easter!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home