Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Turning Ordinary Life Into Cash

I don't know if you've ever said, "I should write a book" or "I would love to write a book," but I've said that many times and have gotten so far as to write a title. There it lies...mouldering with dust and age...never to be completed. It's not that I can't write, it's just that everything which seems to terribly fascinating at the time has probably already been done, or I can think of, maybe, four chapter titles before realizing how boring it would be. I have encouraged plenty of people to write fascinating accounts, especially Ryun who has led an amazing life that most people only dream about. That's part of the problem, I think: he has the fascinating life but isn't interested in interrupting his quest to be the world's best singer on "Rock Band" to write, and I have nothing to say but have time to say it (feel free to yawn now).I'm no Anna Sam,though,that's for sure!
Sam, a 29-yr.old from France, has turned her 9 years behind a checkout counter in a grocery store into a captivating book entitled "Tribulations of a Cashier." Laugh if you must, but it has sold more than 100,000 copies, and I'll bet YOU can't say that...nor can I or anybody I know. Is it just because people in France are easily amused, or is this actually interesting? Given the number of copies sold, does it really matter? The Brown County Library does not have a copy so it looks as if I will never know, personally, how good it is.
Not exactly a weighty tome: according to the author, "It's so easy to read that even customers in the supermarket can read it." Ouch! Anyway, she relates what it's like to be thought of as "part of the machinery...not a person at all" by the customers who are too busy reading Crime and Punishment, I guess. It does point to the fact that anyone can probably be an author though selling copies of a book might be another matter.
So, the next time you or someone you are speaking with utters the statement, "That would make a good book," give it some serious thought. We could be reading accounts of your fascinating life instead of spending time reading blogs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home