Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Friday, December 05, 2008

...And I'm Not Kidding, Either

Every now and then, the world just gets so darned crazy that I have to stop, take a deep breath, and pretend it just isn't happening. Banks get billlions of dollars with no oversight, auto executive fly in corporate jets to beg money from, in essence, the people they've been screwing all these years, and the Chicago Cubs didn't win the World Series last year!
I thought with the most contentious election in my lifetime finally over, the pundits would have nothing to do...even Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert would have to take real jobs. But then, I pick up a newspaper and discover the zany, no, make that idiotic world continues unabated and unaware that stupidity will soon come back and bite people where they sit. Of the bizarre happenings this week, here are my "favorites" (oh, and I learned a new tech word, too!)

Let's start with that one: the new word is "sexting" and it means just about what you might think. Here I just got the hang of texting without accidentally sending the message in mid-word by hitting the "send" button, and I find that I'm already behind. The latest craze, it seems, is send compromising photos of yourself to people using the camera phone. It started, probably, wioth that chick from "High School Musical" a few months ago, and has developed (so to speak) into the latest thing. A group of cheerleaders (who will remain nameless but probably not anonymous all over the internet) did just that: they send semi-naked (or naked, for all I know) pictures to their boyfriends and subsequently got suspended from their high school (yes, HIGH SCHOOL) cheer squad. Mind you, this was not a couple of Carolina Panthers cheerleaders acting in an unseemly way in a bathroom (that was last year); these were kids! However, that's not the most bizarre part of it, as I see it. Following their suspension from the cheer squad, their parents hired lawyers and SUED THE SCHOOL! Hoo boy!

As long as I'm dogging the younger set, there was a young man in Milwaukee who was involved in a hit-and-run accident with some other adult's car (what was SHE thinking?), denied any kind of involvement and sent a text message to the woman whose car he had borrowed:
The first read, "Turn me n ull b n there I was no where near dat car I neva drove it." The second one read, "Telem u aint do smebdy cud took a set of your keys."
I don't blame him; I blame his English teachers. That's one uneducated young man. Those who bash education just got another load of ammo. Just for the record, I never, ever use abbreviations when I text, and only rarely do I even think about emoticons.

If you think it's just teens who've run amok, think again. Lorraine Henderson who works as an official who oversees majors internation seaports and Logan International Airport in Boston for the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Bureau got arrested today...it seems she was harboring an illegal alien from Brazil: her housekeeper! This is the Border Patrol, people! And there's more! She had been warned by a coworker that continuing to employ the woman was illegal, and STILL she did nothing but try to figure out ways to keep her housekeeper...until today. Here's a question: can we deport someone who breaks immigration laws she is sworn to uphold? I'm just saying...

O.J Simpson was convicted today of killing his wife and her boyfriend...oh, no, that's not right, even though the blogosphere seems to think justice was served. He got convicted for breaking into a hotel room armed and holding up some collectible (yes, I spelled that right...many don't) dealer, ostensibly to regain possession of memorabilia stolen from him including his first wife's wedding ring, but more probably to pay all the money he owed on losing the civil suit inNicole Brown Simpson's and Goldman's deaths. Anyway, he got 33 years but could be out in nine...just about the time the latest recession turns into the Great Depression of the 21st century and my state retiree's fun goes totally broke, fixed or not!

And finally, loathe though I am to even broach (or maybe "brooch" would be better) the subject of the money the Republican National Committee spent outfitting God's Hockey Mom, I feel I must. Seriously, I have no problem with the on-camera wardrobe. Everybody at that level has tailor-made stuff that you and I could never afford. That's not it...image IS important. But this latest pronouncement that the figure (so to speak) last released was some $30,000 lower than the actual cost caught my attention...not so much for the dollar amount, but that the stores listed included Victoria's Secret! But wait! There's even MORE: all the clothing purchased will be donated to charity. So...who's in line for the Victoria's Secret stuff? EEEEWWWWWWW! Look for it on EBay soon, with a signed certificate of authenticity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home