Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Saturday, December 20, 2008

"Exempli Gratia" for Example

Too much knowledge can be a dangerous thing, I'm told. Actually, I figure it can't be worse than too LITTLE knowledge, but that's just me. Having spent the last semester "attending" classes, I was stimulated to learn a lot of things...some of them not necessarily on the syllabus, but interesting, nonetheless. Now that I have a whole month before returning, I figured that stimulation would be hard to find, or at least I thought so until today when I discovered a site called "coolquiz.com" And I stumbled on it serendipitously, too. Gazing through today's newspaper (the real paper version not the internet version just to please my adopted mother Mother Blaser who virtually will read nothing on the internet if she can hold it in her hands...retired English teachers...sheesh!), I discovered that the abbreviation for "for example" which we use all the time as "e.g." is actually taken from two Latin words exempli gratia which mean, of course, "for example." Seeking the font of that wellspring of knowledge like Cortez looking for the Fountain of Youth, I found that coolquiz.com was the source. Upon arriving there, I found a veritable plethora of interesting things to keep me occupied, including daily trivia in Jeopardy-type categories including movies, sound clips, geography (I managed to identify Japan by its outline in today's question)sports (Which team is the revamped Minnesota North Stars?)and a 3,000-question music trivia bout which I'm saving for later. The site is also a compendium of interesting questions like "What is a booger made of?" and "what do you call a group of..." which tests one's knowledge of plurality. New questions are featured every day, and I suspect the site could get to be Facebook-like in its addictive quality.
So, if you have a few minutes to kill in the cubicle or at one in the morning, I suggest a trip to coolquiz.com and get those synapses firing.
I've got to go watch the finals of the NCAA Volleyball Championships, but I'll be there later answering the questions, e.g. "what's a booger made of?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home