Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Dr.Spock? Not So Much!

First of all, I must apologize to younger readers for such an antiquated reference: I'm sure you think Dr. Spock was a character on an alternate universe in Star Trek. Not so for people in the Boomer generation (to whom, by the way, YOU OWE EVERYTHING YOU HAVE!) Sorry, 'roid rage for a moment there.
Anyway, Dr. Benjamin Spock was the baby doctor to whom all our parents turned for advice on bringing us up. How good was he? See how neurotic we all are now? Thus, any deviation from what younger readers might consider a "normal" upbringing can probably be traced to this guy. So it is with great sadness that I report that the next great resource for child rearing has been muzzled at the printer's. Yes, I mean Lynne Spears.
It appears that her forthcoming book Pop Culture Mom: A Real Story of Fame & Family in a Tabloid World is actually NOT forthcoming at all. Its original release date (and subsequent book tour, probably) was to be May 11, 2008. (That's Mother's Day in case you need a reminder). The timing of the announcement from Thomas Nelson Publishing, a Christian book publisher, strikes me as suspicious. I mean, it made the announcement just after the Mitchell report on steroid use in baseball came out...oh, right...that's not the news I meant. The squashing of the book came out just after the news was leaked that Lynne's daughter Jamie Lynn was pregnant. If you don't know any of the particulars, the girl is 16 and stars on a Nickelodeon show called Zoey 101 (haven't seen it...don't intend to).
So, let's recap here: a divorced mother who has two daughters is writing to tell US how to raise kids? Britney and Jamie Lynn have not exactly been the role models of the stature of, say, Hannah Montana, to say the least. My mom would prefer that I wore dirty underwear getting out of a car as opposed to NO underwear! Driving with an infant on my lap? My mom would have a serious sit-down with me on that one. Drugs, alcohol, party all night with the kids somewhere else...fight with a divorce? If I sound judgmental, I think I have the right. I mean,. this woman is trying to capitalize on being the absolute worst mother in the world! Does writing a book make her a better mother? Too late for that, I think.
Come to think of it, even MY parents and Dr. Spock combined didn't screw up my life as much as the Spears' girls lives seem to be. I blame Disney and the Mickey Mouse phenomenon.
As for Lynne Spears: I doubt you'll make Oprah's list or get a hug on national TV, either.
As for Christian book publishers: What were you thinking? Sending your children to Oral Roberts University?
Back to your regularly-scheduled life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home