Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Penthouse to the Outhouse...Plop!

Poor Barry Bonds. The guy is jeered all season as a potential doper while setting the major league record for home runs. Only in San Francisco could he get any love at all...and this was history in the making. Now, word comes down that he's been indicted by a grad jury for potentially perjuring himself in the Balco investigation; and his personal trainer is still in jail, I think, for refusing to talk about it. Anyway, the drop is not-so-sudden, but a tough one to swallow for him. Maybe Johnny Cochran ("If it doesn't fit, you must acquit") is available...oh yeah, OJ is going to trial in Vegas so maybe Barry will have to get somebody else.
Why is any of this important to me, inspite of its historical significance? I, too, have recently been on the descending end of the "penthouse to the outhouse" theory.
I was asked recently to accompany a team on a road trip to continue working with students who had a big test coming up upon their return. The trip was a three-day deal so there was ample time for us to study. Anyway, I had a bench pass to sit on the bench with the team at a major college venue. I admit that it was a rush, but then word filtered down that there were not as many seats as promised, and I was asked to move. (OK, OK, not a major blow by any standards, but it did call to mind the Bible story of the invited guests who were seated too close to the head of the table and were asked to move down). I laughed at the irony, and now that Barry and OJ have fallen even further, I can commiserate a bit with them, though to be truthful, I, at least, have no need of a lawyer! As for me, the games were fun, the trip provided a rare insight into the world of college basketball, and my students scored an "A" and two "B's". Of course, they are leaving again this weekend, and there are two tests next week...I'm staying home to get ready for test prep on Monday and Tuesday. No need to worry about status this time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home