Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Downward Comparison Feels Better


I'll admit that sometimes sports takes on a greater emphasis than it should, especially for those of us who don't have to worry about where our next meal is coming from, where we'll spend the night or whether our children will be safe in school or at the mall. The Packers are woeful this year, the Ducks have played well only in spurts and needed a bogus call to beat my Sooners and deny Bob Stoops his rightful shot at the national championship. The Yankees didn't make it past Detroit, UWGB, my local team, has been struggling a bit thus far. Thanks to the internet, I can listen to or watch almost any sporting event. I swear, cover my eyes and agonize over every 3-pointer that goes in and every offensive rebound grabbed against my son's team at the U of Illinois. I feel each loss of any of my teams in painful reality. On occasion, I have reason to rejoice...Marquette losing to North Dakota State over the weekend was such an occasion. Coach Miles and Coach Koering of NDSU gave my son his first experience into coaching so I watch and cheer for the Bison. Wins are too few and looses too numerous: as it is in life. At least I have no affiliation with Ohio State-Marion. For those of you who do, I can feel some of your pain.
The Scarlet Wave played Lincoln University in men's basketball over the weekend, and vaulted into the NCAA D3 record books...regrettably. Lincoln won the game 201-78 and in doing so, set several records. Lincoln surpassed Redlands University's record of 104 points in a half; Sam Wylie set a record with 21 3-pointers. In addition, the Wave had 62 turnovers and had the ball stolen 48 times. Ouch. All 16 players scored for Lincoln, and since accounts are sketchy, little else is known. I am willing to bet Lincoln employed a full-court press the entire game and that OSU-Marion tried hard but got discouraged early.
I'm not here to argue about the right or wrong of such a performance by a winning team or the effects of such a loss on the losing team. I'm just saying that USC fans or Nebraska fans or Marquette or Kansas or even Packers fans can take a bit of solace knowing that none of their teams has absorbed such a debacle.
As for the Scarlet Wave: I feel for you, and now I have a new team to root for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home