Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Bad News For Technophobes

I will accede to the comment that I am not really a technogeek. My son tells me it's because I'm old. That may have something to do with it. I mean, I grew up hoping someday to have my own reel-to-reel tape deck, for God's sake. (Having acquired same, I am now obsessed with transferring all that music into a form which will input to my computer before that, too, is obsolete). I do not own a Blackberry, though the jam is nice. I have not sent a text message to anyone, mostly because my fingers are too damned big to accurately hit the right buttons with anything even approaching warp speed. I have a cell phone, I have two iPods, and I have accessed Pandora.com for my radio selections. I can use Microsoft Movie Maker and am learning Excel even as I am becoming more familiar with PowerPoint. So, I am not a complete idiot in the tech world; I know about YouTube and MySpace though I have not posted anything on either. This blog is enough of sharing myself with the world for me.
I use the internet to read four newspapers, do research and check out the sports action instead of staying up late for SportsCenter.
But technology is going too fast for me.
ESPN announced this week that it will begin to broadcast full-length college football games on wireless phones. huh? Mine makes calls and takes messages...that's it. There's something more complex out there? (see what I mean?)
A worker concerned about the security of some ships his company was building, downloaded a video to YouTube explaining the serious problems after nobody would listen to his concerns. (and you thought it was just for outing college pranks and Paris Hilton!)
AOL announced that this week it is making room for fan blogs, social networking and user-generated video. 'Way too much for me...though not for everyone else, it seems.
The Washington Post reports that the average internet user spends time in the following amounts on the following topics every month:

1. 2 hours, 45 minutes on online games.

2. 1 hour, 30 minutes visiting "adult" sites.

3. 57 minutes reading about sports.

If I can do all of that on my phone, how much time will be left for me to do any actual driving? I'm told I can't focus now?

I gotta slow down or get up to third-grade speed. This in-between thing is killing me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home