Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Penurious or Thrifty? Your Call.

Thee's a contest for just about everything these days. I had one designed to name my blog, but since mine was the only entry...Anyway, the Washington Post apparently features a "Color of Money Penny Pincher of the Year" contest every year and rewards the entries which describe the most tight-fisted behaviors. Naturally, there are prizes...money prizes even! What self-respecting tightwad wouldn't pony up for that? The winners were listed recently, but I have to admit tht I think I have some better possibilities.
Here is a basic recap of some of this year's winners:
Tabitha Plecker got tired of using "swim diapers" (have YOU ever heard of such things? Kids are going to pee in the pool anyway!)and throwing them away after a dip by her toddler in the pool. She reasoned that if they are good for the pool, they'd survive the wash machine...and she was right! Her cautionary word is that the dryer isn't as helpful; she suggests "drip drying" the diaper. I say, skip the wash part and just drip dry 'em to begin with!
Keith Schall went to business meetings in the same place every time and stayed at the same hotel where he got coupons for two free drinks. He'd grab two beers...AND TAKE THEM HOME where they currently reside in the refrigerator. Uh, Keith, check the "born on" date on some of those babies.
This year's winner was a man named Tom Hagman (real name in order to add further embarrassment) whose idea of saving money on family vacations was to take in as many condo presentations as he could, and reaping, as a result, a veritable cornucopia of discounted trips to hot water spas, restaurants, condo stays, etc. You'll see him next summer appearing with his wife on one of Judge Judy's programs, I suspect.
And those are worthy winners, I would admit, but I know at least two people whom I might enter next year. I will omit names for the time being...not to spare them humiliation but to make certain nobody else gets to nominate these people before I do!
Being frugal is not bad. Many times I wish I had been more so, but these folks are pushing the envelope a bit.
A single, professional person who waits for Homecoming at our high school to come around so he can replenish his yearly supply of toilet paper. He even has students collecting it for him: no work, all profit in this case.
A married professional who is not satisfied to snack from the refrigerator...he checks out the garbage can for delectable treats, and often scores big! Of course, this person thinks cake is one of the major food groups as well, so very little goes to waste.
Remember when your Mom said,"Eat what's on your plate. There are children starving in (insert country here). I suspect that's where this eating habit arose. Of course, when my mother said that, I was quick to reply, "Oh yeah, name a kid in (select country." Mom should have been a tennis player...what a backhand!
Anyway, if you find yourself fitting in with any of these examples, get ready for next year's contest. I'm going to continue with generic items and call it a day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home