Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Aging Forcefully

I still have yet to say "Back in the day" with any sincerity. I have not to this point concluded that the younger generation is going to hell in a hurry. I don't complain too much about the lack of dedication among younger workers or the shallow nature of relationships. Still, there is no doubt about it: I am getting older...inescapably and palpably.
I was called upon recently as an emergency substitution on a coaching staff at a basketball camp. I know it was desperation that prompted the call, but I was OK with that. Glad to help. Almost 200 girls between the ages of eight and fourteen or so spread among a number of coaches over four days. The first and last days were half days, but the middle two lasted from 8 a.m. until approximately 9 p.m. Did I mention it was hot and humid? It was.
After the first afternoon/evening session, I could barely get a shower taken before I was sound asleep, not to awaken until 7 a.m. (MOST unusual for me). After the first full day, I don't remember taking a shower or eating, but the smelly stuff in my gym bag reminds me that it was a most active day. By this time, I was quite familiar with the 20 or so girls with whom I worked, and they were great. My voice began to fade by Tuesday evening, and by Wednesday, it was gone. I spent breakfast sucking on lemons in a vain attempt to restore any measure of sound. Wednesday was much the same, but I had to change shirts once to rid myself of the buildup of sweat!
I was enlisted to lead morning stretching, and I resorted to the dance activities we use at school, but without music.
My jobs involved teaching defensive play, coaching a five on five team and supervising three on three play as well as one on one play. It was all movement all of the time: teaching encouraging, cajoling and some times reprimanding over a 14-hour day. Mealtime found me less hungry than I should have been what with free food and all. Salads, cottage cheese and fruit was it...and skim milk. Tell me THAT doesn't sound like an old person's diet!
After the penulitmate day of camp, the coaches were treated to finger food and free beer at a local establishment. The catch was that the party didn't start until after 11 p.m. I should have been asleep for an hour by then! The free food and drink swayed me, but only for an hour or so. After all, I could not join in any conversation anyway, and there was only so much I could eat and drink.
I encouraged the camp director to download music for our last day exercises,a nd he did so...after getting home at 1:30 and complaining about being tired.
Our last day exercises rocked...I'm sure kids are still dancing to "Super Freak" and "Casper Slide, pt. 2) I was sound asleep by 4 p.m.: sad, really.
Two days later my voice is returning, and I am not sore anywhere. Coaching is definitely a young person's game, but I can still manage for four days so I'm not out of it yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home