Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Newly-Converted


Admittedly, there are some off-center religious experiences in which to immerse onesself, both on the left and on the right. I have always viewed myself as one who accepts the beliefs of another as long as it doesn't involve killing me because of my beliefs or taking away my BLT.
Generally, I have been associated with the basic Christian sects (both middle of the road and extremist), I've known and liked a few Muslims as well as any number of members of the Jewish nationality and faith. The lines of belief have blurred somewhat throughout the last fifteen or twenty years to the point where I no longer feel I have to wear a suit and tie to church and have even been known to occasionally raise my arms and clap my hands (though not on a regular basis). That's why this latest foray into fanatical belief structure leaves me a bit awed. I'm talking about the quasi-religious experience known as the Green Bay Packers.
Through some seven-degrees-of-separation, out-of-left-field connections, I find myself immersed in the culture that is the Green Bay Packers. I work part time as a tour guide at revered Lambeau Field. I'm not a die-hard football fan, and growing up in Kansas meant that Green Bay was further away than I could find on a map, so I've come to all of this lately. I must say, it leaves me open-mouthed at times.
People who tour the stadium drop down to kiss the field and speak in hushed, reverent tones when we leave the tunnel and emerge into the sanctified air of Lambeau Field. They sit in adulation in the private boxes, staring out at the lush grass (mown every other day to 1 1/8th inch length) as I explain the fee structure for actually watching a game there. And, as the last "Go, Pack, go!" echoes through the 72,601-seat stadium, goose bumps rise, and I expect an "Amen!" every time.
It's not just local people, either; in fact, it's people from around the world who have waited much of their lives for this chance to be in proximnity to the sacred turf. Unlike regular services, though, these folks seem reluctant to tear themselves away...an hour tour just isn't long enough. One cannot help but feel a kinship with these people as they move slowly through the hallowed halls and concourses. To believe in something with such fervor happens so rarely in life: too much cynicism about religious leaders (some of whom demand my death!), political leaders and people in general. For an hour we can forget all of that and glory in the memories made and to be made by our heroes in the green and gold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home