Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The Big Ripoff or I Should Get Royalties!

I'll admit that I didn't have the idea originally. I got it from a dj on the radio...but doggone it! I didn't charge $26 for my creations, either! My tech advisor Ryun called my attention the other day to a guy who's selling stuff online that I used to give away! The product is one everyone could have...as long as he/she is over, say, 40 years old. We all have old record albums. Kids today have little idea about that though club djs use vinyl and it has enjoyed a resurgence of late, much like neo-swing had when Big Bad Voodoo Daddy brought it back in the movie Swingers.
The idea involved making useful projects using old LP (long-playing for those under 40) releases. I thought framing them as art was a cool idea: I have Buddy Holly, The Beatles, Jackson Browne and Elvis Costello picture albums framed on my wall, and they ARE cool. They do pale a bit in comparison to the huge oil painting of a Krispy Kreme doughnut, but, face it, I'm eclectic.
Through an intricate and highly scientific process (turning the oven on), I managed to soften old records enough to form them into artistic and highly retro bowls in which one could store anything not liquid. The hole for the spindle made holding anything runny out of the question. Less than a day after I proudly created my first art piece, an oldies anthology album featuring fabulous hits from 1964 like The Detergents' Leader of the Laundromat, my wife found a great display spot for it: in the back of a kitchen cabinet on the top shelf. Not into kitsch, she reads Real Simple and Domino magazines and watches HGTV. I think she gave up on Martha when she went to the crowbar hotel.
Undaunted, I searched far and wide for a Procol Harum album for my friend Patty's Christmas gift. She can actually sing all the words to A Whiter Shade of Pale and really knocks 'em out at karaoke night at the bingo place. Anyway, she was so totally stunned at the magnificent gift...I think I saw a little tear as well. Now it has a place of honor in her home, and I admire it every time I go there. Without dog food in it, I can read the label and everything.
My inital effort was rescued from ignominy by another friend who wishes to remain namelss in public, though he will come if you whistle, and he uses it to store compact discs (at last something you youngsters can understand).
And NOW, this person at uncommongoods.com has the gall to do the same thing and sell them on the internet for $26! Whether or not they will be THE hot Christmas gift this year I am unprepared to say, but I've gotten out all my old Gary Lewis (one of Jerry's "actual" kids)and the Playboys albums and fired up the stove. Ahhh! the smell of melting vinyl. I'll sell you a classy art piece featuring YOUR favorite vinyl artist for $15 on a "Buy It Now" option. ($25 shipping and handling)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home