Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Aging, for Better or Worse

I was about to load some groceries into the trunk of my Miata the other day, and a woman who was in her 70's (or so) stopped me with a surprised look on her face. "This is YOUR car" she asked? She had seen a somewhat younger more stylish man walk toward it and thought he owned it. "I said to myself, 'He must really like driving that car.'" She was truly perplexed that I would be getting into such a vehicle. It made me think about aging.
By their mid-60's, my parents were definitely into the last rounds of their lives. Neither of them had as many as 15 years left at that point, and I don't think they particularly enjoyed the last few. I know my mother did not. My uncle who is mid to late 70's is on his last legs even as I type this...but he even LOOKS old! How can I avoid that?
Lots of life and death is involved with heredity. I know many family members who checked out of the "hotel California" far sooner than they might have wished; however, there are others still going somewhat strongly. I hope to be one of them.
Can exercise, a relatively good diet, meaningful work/leisure time, and a generally positive approach keep me spry and sprightly well into the 80's? I hope so. That one aspirin a day I take to ameliorate the possible effects of atrial fibrillation is the only medication I take...perhaps fish oil...or Vitamin D...or...
The fact is: the closer I get to The End, the more I like my life, and the more I'm afraid to lose it. There is too much to do...too much wisdom to pass on to younger family members...to much of life to live.
I hate the future: too uncertain. The past is, in many ways, too painful. That leaves me with today: stop typing and go watch some baseball!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home