Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Just One More Thing That's My Fault!

I do dumb stuff. I will admit it. Many times these mistakes come from being in a hurry or simply from failing to think things through before I open my mouth to say something that will haunt me for an extended period of time. It's hard to argue with a woman who can trace every errant judgement or idea on her part BACK to something I did that instigated the faulty process. Of course, I'm usually just too stubborn to apologize and cut my losses...in such cases, the evidence becomes too great to overlook: I am the cause of everything that has ever gone wrong (and if not me, personally, men in general!) But I swear, I had NOTHING to do with menopause!
There is a bit of theoretical research being bandied about that would seem to indicate that hot flashes, mood swings, and night sweats occurring in women somewhere around their early 50s (or so) are a direct result of men and not some hereditary/genetic/biological events that were preordained since time immemorial.
Professor Rama Singh, an evolutionary geneticist at McMaster University in Canada poses the idea that menopause might be more related to male behavior than one might imagine. He notes, for example, that humans are the only species that cannot reproduce over the entire life cycle. I guess I'd never really known that, but Singh thinks it is due primarily to the fact that, as women age, they are not seen as reproductive partners by the males of the human species! This HAS to be a lot more complex than men's desire for younger wives in mid-life...sort of a "if you don't use it, you lose it" theory, and all sorts of theoretical statements have been made...such as "women cease the ability to have children as they get older because they fear they will not live long enough to raise the offspring." While in some odd way, that idea might make sense to some people, it might lead to the type of claims made about women, rape, and pregnancies that destroyed so many political candidates' lives for the time being.
To this point, there is no statistical data to back up Singh's claim, and I'm not sure how he might even go about collecting corroborating data, but if the triple threat items that come with menopause ARE men's fault, we're really in for it when women find out!

1 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's far more likely that we've "outsmarted" our natural life cycle due with homes, access to food, medicines, and a lack of natural predators. On this one I think you get a pass - everything else is still your fault!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home