Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Monday, April 02, 2012

Take Me Out to the ("burp") Ballgame!

I love this time of year...in fact, I think it might be the time of year when my mouth waters constantly. You see, now is the time of year when franchises try to think of gustatory delights to bring fans out to baseball games that are, invariably, somewhat tedious for the average fan to sit through.
I thought the innovation of "all-you-can-eat" baseball was a bonanza, and I have attended a couple of games on that very premise since I think ballpark food is among the best ever, right after Buck Beer Night at a minor league park when I was in grad school: after a couple of beers, we all knew we could play the infield better than any of the guys out there and would loudly protest the indignity of exclusion from the on-field shenanigans.
The past few years have seen minor league ballparks serve gazillion-calorie inventions like burgers deep-fried with a Krispy Kreme doughnut for a bun, and everything imaginable served on a stick, a trick they must have picked up from various state fairs around the country.
This year, my pick thus far goes to the California angels of Anaheim as baseball's leader. Oh sure, they have a couple of the best free agents,and the weather is always comfortable, but I'm talking about the food offerings. I think the Angels have set the bar high with their "Cali-dogs." Not that California is noted as a foodie haven (unless by "foodie," one means "wine drinker"), but this year's new menu items are a bit eclectic, I think.
The "Cali-dog," for example is a hot dog wrapped in a tortilla and deep fried (mostly because a bun would NOT have worked), then topped one of two ways: chili and cheese OR pico de gallo, lettuce, avocado, and sour cream. I mean, I'd have to have one of each!
The dessert options include cinnamon-sugar nachos topped with vanilla ice cream, carmel and chocolate sauce. Really? The game would have to go extra innings just so I could eat it all!
Ah...the (fat) boys of summer have returned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home