Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Friday, April 15, 2011

"'I' Comes Before "I Love You'"





Quick, Pronounce My First Name




Part of my task this semester in my quest for educating young minds is to read 22 books of all sorts. I have thus far read books about the Hmong exodus to America under terrible conditions, Reconstruction horrors for then-freed slaves, Icelandic sagas, and a dystopian novel named Oryx and Crake (or Crake and Oryx...that's been seven books ago), among others, and currently I'm trying to finish Reading Lolita in Tehran and two others. Admittedly, reading three books at once is somewhat disconcerting, but that's the benefit of having multiple personalities. Looming, though, is a tome authored by Ayn Rand, and I have to admit a certain reluctance to get started...and I refuse to join The Atlasphere. What, you have not either? You don't have to be single to join, you know.
Lest you think this has veered off into the unknown, there is a dating site on the Web just for those who are ardent admirers of the famous novelist (and themselves, I would posit). Seriously...there are more than 12,000 dating profiles on this web site though, as I noted earlier, it is not just a place for RandFans to hook up; there are more than 22,000 RandoPhiles who have signed onto the social networking site since 2003 jus to add their take in the form of essays and articles concerning All-Things-Ayn Rand.
If you, like me have avoided this author because some of what you've heard or read makes you a bit uncomfortable, there's an opportunity starting today to rectify that with popcorn. The movie "Atlas Shrugged, Pt. 1" opened at select (my guess would be VERY select) theaters.
If you have never brushed up against Rand's basic philosophy, here it is, according to Claire Suddath, writer for Time magazine:
People have "the moral obligation to manifest in the world the best they have in themselves. We are charged to do whatever it is that will make us great...a greatness which has nothing to do with public opinion." In other words, we should do what's right for us individually not for someone else. In my mind, this calls into question how love can be possible, but Rand writes in The Fountainhead, "A person cannot say 'I love you' without first saying the 'I'"
Maybe I'm just dim."
Anyway, Suddath checked out the website for a typical" dating profile. I have copied her findings for you here:

About me:
I am my own standard of value.
I believe in self-esteem, integrity and self-improvement.
I do not have tolerance for the weak and pitiful.
I love America and its capitalist views.
I was born to an upper-class family.
I am perfect just the way I am.
I don't like Russia at all.
I have creepily long toes.
My virtues:
Confidence.
Sense of purpose.
Honesty.
Integrity.
Courage.
Well, if we are going to be completely honest, I would say my boobs.
Occupation:
Finance/business*.
*One brave objectivist made this very unobjectivist admission: "I am currently another victim of the economy and looking for work."
(See how Ayn Rand would have tackled our current financial crisis.)
Favorite work of art:
Buildings represent what is possible of men.
Standing around looking at paintings doesn't do it for me.
The sound track to Vanilla Sky.
Björk.
Looking to meet:
A libertarian gal who has a good attitude.
An egoist bastard with a loving heart.
A man who can stand alone against a tide of opposition.
An independent, rational, logical, ambitious, selfish, productive [woman who is] proud of her moral character [and] values maintaining physical attractiveness.
If I could "do lunch" with anyone, I'd choose:
Ayn Rand*.
*Rand is the overwhelming favorite among Atlasphere users, except for one person who picked George Carlin.
Ideal date:
We'd go watch the new Atlas Shrugged movie.
If these responses set your heart afire, you can join the Atlasphere for $29.85 (which buys you a three-month subscription). Or, for a cheaper, more old-fashioned alternative, you just might find plenty of objectivists looking for love at the movies this weekend.


Read more: http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,2065348,00.html#ixzz1Jdyuv02g

1 Comments:

At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's an interesting read, dp. Though at times (like John Galt's famous monologue) I have to admit to skimming as it gets repetitive. Surprised you've skipped it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home