Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Monday, November 01, 2010

What Happened to the Old Elite?

I read today an article written by Charles Murray, the W.H. Brady Scholar at the American Enterprise Institute (whoever and whatever that is), and he claimed to support the idea of the Tea Party that it's time to take back America from the "New Elite" and return it to real americans where it belongs. I guess I have no beef with that though I DO wonder how the "Old Elite" feel about being so ignored. Lest you think that the term "new elite" is of the same journalistic stylings that brought us "liberal media," there are ways to tell, according to Murray.
NEW ELITE:
Can discuss an episode or two of "Mad Men or "The Sopranos," but have no idea who replaced Bob Barker on "The Price Is Right."
Can discuss sports such as yoga, pilates and mountain biking but have no idea who Jimmie Johnson (NOT the football coach) is.
Have no idea what the acronym MMA stands for (but can probably define "acronym" unlike their counterparts.
Vacation by backpacking through the Sierra Nevadas but would never be caught dead in an RV NOR have they heard of Branson, Missouri.

I've always known about class distinction, ever since we had to sneak into the country club pool at night because our dads were not members (and probably had never even heard of golf). When one of our children was denied admission to Georgetown simply because none of his relatives had ever attended there (this in spite of being a National Merit Scholar), the point was made very clear. We were not part of the elite, moneyed class that could have access to anything it desired.
Now, was that the old elite or the new one?
At any rate, count me out. As mark Twain (I think) once said, "I wouldn't belong to a club that would have me as a member." I'm not being elitist here, nor do I adhere to the theory that elitist are "isolated and ignorant" simply because they don't know who Drew Carey is or have never watched a complete Oprah episode. ..well, maybe a little bit isolated, but at the same time, money cannot buy a longer life or happiness while it is being lived.
Still, I'm going to work on my MMA skills just in case some new elitist starts talking some smack.
Perhaps someone will save me from them in this election who doesn't know Jimmie Johnson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home