Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

When Being Dead Is Cool





You say, "Bizarre," I say, "Cool!"

I love Mexico, at least the Mexico I've seen: far away from the tourist traps and all-inclusive resorts. We spent some time in San MIguel de Allende with friends and former teaching associates a few years ago, and I fell madly in love with a number of their customs. It seems that the Mexican people celebrate everything with gala events, fireworks, bands and cerveza. We happened to be there the day Dia los Locos was being celebrated. Everyone dresses in costume and joins a huge parade that makes the Rose Bowl look like shanty Days in Algoma. I jumped in among the revelers, got a few pictures, and had the greatest time. Someone commented that the Mexicans were generally so poor because they spent so much time, money and energy on celebrations. Maybe, but I can see it...celebrate the life you've been given and work tomorrow.
That brings me to my favorite Mexican tradition, one I'd never heard of until visiting the country: Dia de los Muertos...Day of the Dead. I first noticed it in shops where every little figure had, instead of a regular face, a skull. I mean these things were everywhere, and I couldn't figure out the point, no matter how much I tried. Finally, our hosts explained it to me.
In a custom that is at least 3,000 years old in Mexico (and older when the Aztecs are taken into consideration), on a given day, extended families come together in the cemetery to tells anecdotes about the ancestors buried in that place. It is far from a somber occasion: everyone brings something to put on the altars built just for that occasion. I mean these things are actual works of art in some cases. Especially favored ass tokens are these skull things, especially ones made of sugar. Others might bring favored mementos, food and, of course, something to drink. The family sits around eating, drinking and telling stories of their ancestors. How cool is that? I was certain to buy three or four refrigerator magnets to put up at home and in my office. Thus far, no one has commented about the faces, though I did notice the one at home got moved to the side of the refrigerator that is seldom seen!
We would all like nothing more than to be remembered after we die, and this tradition assures that one is never really gone as long as families gather every year to honor the life by telling stories of the past. It is definitely a radical departure from the traditions we have when in or near cemeteries, but I, for one, would love nothing more than to have my relatives gather 'round and laugh at what a dork I was or tell stories that each other didn't know about what a wonderful guy I was.
I can think of no better way to be immortal.
Viva Los Mexicanos! (or something like that...I can mostly say "cerveza" and "el bano" to take care of my basic needs.)
BTW...in case you want to start this cool tradition, the date is November 1st.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home