Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Friday, October 01, 2010

Would You Question the Fashion Police?

OK, to start with, I am NOT considering myself to be Beau Brummel-ish (or GQ-ish) by any stretch of the imagination. If I find something I like, I'm apt to buy a couple more just like it in various colors...and I see nothing wrong with that. Since I've changed from teaching physical education attire to business casual wear for the current gig, I've had to update my wardrobe. But how many pair of Khaki pants and how many polos or button-down-collared shirts can one person have? Thus, I am nondescript, for the most part. I still draw the line at footwear, eschewing adult wing tips for outlandish running shoes. Does it all resemble an ensemble? don't know...don't care...but the fashion police DO care.
The officer in question uses the classroom right before my class begins three days a week. Lately, he's been emerging wearing a tie with dress slacks and the aforementioned oxford shirt. lately, I've been wearing khaki pants and a polo...with running shoes. On wEdnesday, while we were enjoying our passing time discussing habiliment, he mentioned that composition teachers had an unofficial "uniform": which included a tie (instrument of the Inquisition, in my mind). While I know he was something less than dead serious, I nonetheless donned a cravat, oxford shirt and dress slacks for class today...with running shoes, natch. As he emerges tieless (but wearing an argyle sweater and slacks) from the classroom, he glances at me and smirks, "Casual Friday." Casual THIS, buster.
However, that was not the only appearance by the fashionistas today...a loud discussion emanated from the offices of the women's soccer coaches, discussing the correctness of wearing both black and navy blue at the same time: one implied it was a crime against nature while the other allowed that he saw no problem with the combination; both were male, by the way. I had often been castigated for wearing those exact colors in combination, so I joined the fray, only to notice that one of them had a long-sleeved shirt and a jacket on while wearing shorts! Abuses were rampant, but we could all make allowances for individual foibles. Debbie, the office manager indicated a dissatisfaction with the color combination but added that her husband saw nothing amiss with it as he noted, "If the Marines can wear it, it's all right with me."
That shut us all up, especially since we were not quite sure what the dress uniform of the US Marines looked like.
I looked it up and found NO black anywhere: navy blue, royal blue, red, white and gold, but no black...I think.
But I'm not about to argue with either the fashion police OR a Marine.
Khakis and a polo will have to do (in shades of tan and brown, of course).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home