Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Monday, July 26, 2010

A Risky Proposition At Best






A Complex Dating Scene To Be Sure


Lucky for me, I am not particularly concerned with the nature of the dating scene these days. Happily married for many years, I'm not even sure I would know HOW to get back into that scene. I'm sure lines like, "Is it hot in here, or is it just you?" or "I've lost my phone number. Can I have yours?" would not work anymore (if they ever did).Regaling a prospective date with "Glory Years" stories won't get it, either. In this age of disconnects and virtual friends, maybe online dating is the way to start. However, there are pitfalls...so I'm told. fortunately for the terminally dateless, there's VDA.
Founded by Scott Valdez, a former marketing director, Virtual Dating Assistants is a business in the business of getting single folks busy...and it's not as easy as one might think.

VDA has several techniques it has found effective in affecting love:
1. It creates appealing (but "accurate") profiles for its clients.
2. It retouches photos to eliminate unsightly features. (Can it get rid of my nose?)
3. It scouts potential dates for characteristics such as "attractiveness."
4. It sends out witty opening emails to grab the attention of a would-be date.
5. Finally, it helps the dater "close the deal," though details are sketchy as to just how the deal gets done.

In a statement eerily reminiscent of the recent LeBron episode, Valdez claims that creating a profile is all about "creating a brand," and will even recommend which dating sites offer the greatest chance of success depending on ones profile. Wow!
It is possible to download "Maximizing Your Success With Phone Numbers" as well for those who manage to get a number but then lose all sense of what to do next or when to do it.
Why is all of this important? For those who regularly visit/join online dating sites, more than 90% of them rarely even get an answer to their opening email...not even a simple "hello." Weak. This says something about either the sender or the recipient, but I'm not sure what.
Ready to jump into the dating pool with a little help? It'll cost you $200 to join and $600 for monthly "profile management."
If I wanted to spend THAT kind of money, I'd just attract dates by walking around with fifty-doollar bills hanging out of my pocket...saving money every month.
Or attracting muggers.
Good thing I already have a weekly date.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home