Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Gastronomy Gone Astronomical

Who needs the cones?


The return of the Gilbert Burger?


I ate at a buffet restaurant today. That in itself is highly unusual since I've overcome my lifelong desire for "cubic" food rather than culinary delights. It used to be that food quality was not as important at food quantity, but I seem to have lost the urge to splurge, as it were. Today, I went because I lost a bet to my boss. I had bet him that there was no way I would get a teaching position for the fall, and he promised me that I could. He won...his choice of restaurant for the payoff was a Chinese buffet place. I'll admit that having sushi, hot dogs and apple pie in a place like that along with ice cream (NOT soft serve) as well as all the other foodstuffs one might expect caught me off-guard, but the appeal just wasn't there...except for the ice cream. Now, it has come to my attention that all the health-conscious eating we've been doing the last few years has gone by the wayside. I mean, one can positively gorge oneself royally at many places now. Hardee's and Carl Jr. fast food places seem to be leading the way, but there are gluttonous delights all around.
The Chicago Chop House features a 64 oz porterhouse steak (equivalent to 16 quarter-pounders!), and the 25-scoop sundae pictured above is a staple at Margie's Candies in Chicago as well. Just when I thought I'd found every great place to eat in Chicago...
Anyway, Sonic has introduced its footlong hot dog, and Subway plans to do the same with its subs in August. I wonder how Jared will take the news?
The footlong burger pictured above is being test-marketed around the country...though not yet in Green Bay...for $4. If a customer wants lettuce and tomatoes with the three burgers and three pieces of cheese product, it'll be an extra 50 cents.
I thought the KFC "Double Down" of a few months ago was a mouthful, but these new options are definitely gullet-fillers.
You can even vote for your favorite ham-fisted meal at the following website:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2010-07-16-footlong16_ST_N.htm

Go ahead, bust a gut!
I'm still full from lunch...and that slice of raspberry pie I made for my sweetie today.

BTW: This was apparently written in the style of Ian Fleming. I am amazing myself with this literary repertoire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home