Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Friday, July 16, 2010

You Scream, I Scream



One of the Major Food Groups

One of my earliest memories of my dad was him eating ice cream...by the gallon. His rationale was simple: "Ice cream slips down the cracks so there's always room." I, of courser, was all about ice cream as one of the major food groups so I was with him on this one. His shining moment came when I entered Little League and furnished him with ice cream...seems as if a local grocer decided a half-gallon was a great reward for home runs: Dad was delighted, and I was more than happy to do my part. He and I bonded, somewhat, with ice cream. At one point, we even settled the "who can eat more and more quickly" father/son bet with an eat-off. This was 'way before Nathan's or the professional eating leagues.
The rules were simple: we each had a spoon and a half-gallon of ice cream. Whoever finished first was the winner and retained bragging rights forever. I lost, but I never lost my taste for that creamy delicacy. Usually, I go for quantity over quality so Haagen-Daz and Ben and Jerry's get a pass in favor of the generic vanilla, but I've become more sophisticated, especially since I no longer have four kids around who need something to "slide between the cracks." Of course, as a result, I am now upset with Baskin-Robbins.
It seems that the company has retired to the "deep freeze" five flavors, joining the list of already-retired flavors. Gone from the menu are Carmel Praline Cheesecake, Campfire S'Mores, Apple Pie A La Mode (seems redundant somehow), Superfudge Truffle and French Vanilla. OK, I'll give you French Vanilla...we prefer the white vanilla, not the yellow-tinted one, so I can live without French Vanilla. Superfudge Truffle though? hardly.
But what of others, I hear you ask? There are many, but among the most prominent are these:

1. Candi-date. This 1960 release coincided with JFK's run to the White house and featured vanilla ice cream with diced dates and butter brickle candy.

2. Beatle Nut. Obviously feting the Fab Four in '64, this treat combined pistachio ice cream with chocolate ribbons and walnuts.

3. Lunar Cheesecake. Honoring the first men on the moon, this ice cream melded lunar green cheesecake ice cream with Apollo 11 marshmallow ribbons.

4. Miami Ice. Crockett and Tubbs went tropical with lime and grapefruit puree and juice.

5. Saxy Candidate. Introduced for Bill clinton's run for the White House, we feasted on vanilla ice cream with chunks of Baby Ruth candy bar.

Somehow, ALL of these sound better to me than Cherry Garcia, but, alas, they are all lost to us now.
Back to the five quarts of vanilla for $5.00 topped with whatever is lying around.
It still slides down the cracks, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home