Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Monday, July 19, 2010

I'm Positively Conservative




Neither of these gentlemen is me, but I like the look!.

In most species of the animal kingdom, the male is more colorful than the female in terms of markings, plumage, and all-around "Hey, baby, get a look at this" finery. As further evidence, I have to say that men notice women more for what they don't have on rather than what they do choose to wear...but that's another story. This one is about wardrobe choices and the evolution of my closet.
I love color, and I always liked using bright, cheery colors in my wardrobe. This despite the fact that red platform shoes and pastel plaid suits have both gone the way of...well, good fashion sense. I will admit that there was always a little bit of "Superfly" in my choices; at one point, a salesman indicated approval of a suit I was going to buy by saying he had the same suit, and he wore it every time he went to the pool hall! So, you get where my fashion senses lay. Now, though, I have to admit that my wardrobe runs to drab though I have yet to succumb completely to Eddie Bauer and his ilk.
Business casual is now the accepted choice since I've begun working at the university; actually, business dull is more like it. Polos (plain and not too bright) matched with any number of variations on khaki pants make my closet resemble an explosion of weekend geek...except for the shoe corner.
While I am not, as my friend Joseph claims, Imelda Marcos reincarnated, I still maintain a little rebelliousness when it comes to shoes, and I must admit that I do amass more of them than I can wear. I laughed when Joseph asserted that I had shoes that I'd never even worn...until, as I was clearing out some things for Goodwill, I found a box containing red Adidas Superstars covered in a pattern of large silver stars. It was like Christmas! I put away the gold, red and black Nikes with orange flames shooting off the toes and happily gave the top place on the shoe rack to the latest find. White, pink, gold and blue running shoes reside on the shelf next to some gray Lunar Trainers with neon green soles. Not that I'm OCD or anything!
The rules have changed a bit, though. Every time I get something new, I have to give something away. This keeps the inventory down, gives kids at my former high school some kicks they could not otherwise afford (probably), and forces me to rethink every purchase several times.
Now, the only tough decision is what to wear the first day of school with my corduroy blazer (elbow patches included) and polo/khaki ensemble.
It's a good thing I still have a month to decide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home