Parlor Spider...Step In, Little Fly

Insightful thoughts and/or rants from atop the soapbox from one who wishes to share the "right" opinion with everyone.

Thursday, July 08, 2010

Help For theFashion Consciousless

Nobody will ever confuse me for a fashionista or anything resembling Beau Brummel. I will not be featured in GQ or even Soles. It's not that I don't have a sense of matching things: after all, don't all the animals match up? Giraffes go with giraffes, etc. Heck, even I know that. Nor is my problem connected to what new trend in fashion to follow. It's simply that I have a style of my own: retro. By retro, I mean things that I've had for ten years or more that have yet to wear out or get too small from shrinking in the wash or expanding the certain waistline areas.
As a result, it always startles me when someone makes a comment about my sartorial choices...usually, such comments regard what I have on my feet since I admit to an affinity for shoes. Otherwise, it's basic colors for me (eschewing earth tones if I can).
For the rest of you, however, who are desperately anxious about the appropriate (or not) nature of what you wear each and every day, there is hope from the most likely of sources: strangers on the internet.
There exist at least two sites which will provide user critiques of the outfit you have chosen for the day: Fashim and Go Try It On. Each of these sites allow a user to download a photo of the preferred outfit, ask a few questions or provide specific details, and let those online respond with an opinion. I can hear you gasping now, but these two are not like other on-line critical places like Hot or Not which are often filled with snarky comments. These two are actually in the business of helping you decide whether or not you've made appropriate choices based on others' sense of fashion.
Users of Fashism can select either "Like It" or "Hate It" in response to published photos, while those on Go Try It On can click on either "Wear It" or "Change It."
It is said that the comments take about five minutes to appear after posting a photo so you might want to log on a few minutes early before making that fashion faux pas for real.
As I said, I'm not a critic, but then, I don't really care anyway. The man makes the man, not the clothes. For the rest of you, you can breathe easier now that fashion choices no longer depend on the critical eye of your significant other or cat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home